Also my first attempt at (kind of) dual-mic'ing (AND: NEED 2nd 57)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So today I mic'ed up the bottom two speakers in my Recto cab separately (with the one 57 I own :erk: ) to experiment with blending and to better compare the two, and holy fuck, with them blended, I now realize I NEED a second 57! The phase came out perfectly too, I checked it with the Reaper phase adjuster utility (thank you Adam :D), and man, the difference with the two together (and at equal volumes, I didn't even bother experimenting with the ratio) was to me pretty amazing! I evened out the volumes and exported mp3's of each, check 'em out!

BL.mp3
BR.mp3
Both.mp3

Sounds nice Marcus, its a bit too late over here for me to crank up my monitors n properly listen though!

however, when you get another 57, your gnna be having the head ache of which 57 do you prefer!

i have 2, one from around '02 and one from '08 and the earlier sounds more middy and the newer one (which i use on gtr cabs) is slightly more trebley and scooped

sounds okay but it's a bit overgained for my tastes and the high end is sounding kind of weird.

don't think it fair very well in the context of a mix.

Why do you say that? I think it's thick, chunky, and has plenty of cut which is probably the "weird high end" your hearing, which of course always seems worse when listening to guitars by themselves but is totally necessary in a mix!

upon listening again, the high-end isnt that much of a problem but i still say it's overgained and even possibly a tad boxy, but just barely.

anyways, sweet tone from the dual my friend

they all sound "useable", but i think the best tone is BR, too, to be honest.. hehe.

although that's saying something from me, i don't like mesa's at all, usually! :p

thanks,

Best guitartone I have heard from you (the blended one) by far Marcus. It just needs some EQing and maybe just a little less gain).
With lowmid compression, LPF/HPF, a very narrow cut at 6300~ and wider softer cut at 7000~ it sounded amazing!

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, I'm thinking lowering BL relative to BR while still definitely keeping it audible is the route I'm gonna go, since when listening to BR after listening to the blend (or even just BL) it just sounds quite muffled, I miss the cut that BL adds (though I agree it's too much on its own).

And Mark, I knew I'd have an ally in you in liking the fizz! :headbang:

I agree about the high-end/pesence thing being necessary (at least in my experience) to cut in the mix, but I still like BR better myself. :)

Hell yeah...again you conjure an awesome guitarsound. There is kind of "aggressive growl" in it, what I dig a lot. The difference between the clips is marginal (for me). I could not say, both sounds better than the single signals. Make an album with this guitar sound, Marcus :)

Thanks a lot Felix, always appreciated dude - and I'm working on it! :D

Rex, thanks man, interesting that some people prefer straight BR, but I'm pretty sure with BL lower in the mix that'd be my vote! Now I just need to get around to swapping the top and bottom speakers to compare! (cuz I'm pretty convinced where they're placed in a slant cab makes a difference in sound, and this will also let me confirm once and for all!)