circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Altered Aeon – Dispiritism
Black Lotus Records – BLRCD069 – November 30th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

mini_1096.jpg

Metal, as a genre, has a worthy recruit in thrash metallers Altered Aeon, who sound like a harder, more complex iteration of Nevermore on their debut full-length, namely Dispiritism. The latter contains twelve songs total, and lasts for precisely fifty minutes while offering numerous, endearing qualities. Seldom is a debut as impressive as this.

The group aren’t really unearthing new minerals on Dispiritism, though the album embodies what makes metal so vastly enjoyable: riffs-a-plenty, layered drumwork, unique vocalizations, and all of the aforesaid traits are peppered with aggression to accentuate Altered Aeon’s flavor. “Dispirited Chambers,” “The Resonance of Form in Transition,” and “Desensitizer” all rely on solid riffage and meaty rhythms to protect themselves from unwarranted criticisms, and I have to admit that the tactic works like a dream. I oft found myself taken by the chops of Ohlsson (drums) while Andersson (vocals) weaves his arrangements around the melodies in a masterful fashion. The guy has an idiosyncratic voice that isn’t afraid to tackle a variety of tones, attitudes, and techniques. The first few seconds of “Behind the Lodge Door” are simply pleasant to the ear, as are “Patriots of Sin (Aeturnum Essentia)” and “Carpe Noctem.” The blistering, double-bass rhythms of “Light Creates Shadows” is a further testament to the fact that you’re not going to receive a break until track twelve comes to a close; as it is, mellowness tends to be low for the entire stint of Dispiritism. Furthermore, the musicians aren’t fearful of speed or virtuoso-esque shredding, and oftentimes the two will combine to form jaw-dropping instrumentation.

To wrap up, Altered Aeon have sincerely unleashed one of the finest debut albums that I’ve had the privilege of handling. Those of you that don’t grapple with thrash on a consistent basis – or don’t get serenaded by anything other than standard vox – won’t regard this record as highly as I do. Nonetheless, taking a chance with these Swedes can barely be considered taking a chance. Also, don’t forget to take a stab at two of the members’ side-project in Scar Symmetry. They’re good as well.

8.5/10

UltimateMetal’s Interview with Altered Aeon
Official Altered Aeon Website
Official Black Lotus Records Website