Altered Aeon - Music That Expands the Mind

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
[imgleft]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/AA.jpg[/imgleft]By Katalin Sipos

Whenever I get a promo from a new band, I give them a listen before I start looking up information. So when I got the debut album of Altered Aeon, whose name did not ring any bells at all, I stopped myself from looking into the promo sheet and just let it spin in my stereo. That was the hour of surprise and delight. Fine, technical power-thrash metal blew out of the speakers and the group gained a new fan. But what else should we expect when a former member of Theory In Practice founded this band? I read on their biography and found out that all the members in Altered Aeon are well known musicians of the Swedish metal scene. Of course I tried to stay as objective as possible with the album review, but the release has got a place next to my Nevermore and Testament collection. I felt an urge to contact the band and ask them about a few things. Henrik Ohlsson himself took the time to satisfy my curiosity.

First of all, congratulattions on your debut album, I was really impressed. So far I have only read positive reviews about it. Did you expect such a great response? How do you feel about it?

Thanks! It`s nice to hear that you think that we stand out from the rest of the metal bands out there, we really think that we have a unique sound so hearing it from outside sources is really pleasant. We honestly didn`t know what to expect but we felt that the album sounded really good and we figured that people SHOULD like it. But you never know how people will react, you just never know. The first review we received was bad, and it was a bit frustrating that the first one was a bad read. But aside from that one the response has been really good.

What was your vision when you formed the band? I mean you were all involved in other (renowned) bands, what was still missing?

Nothing was really missing, we just started this band because we wanted to try out some ideas and see where things were heading. I mean, in the beginning it was just me and Kjell who tried out a bunch of songs that I had written and the sound of Altered Aeon just evolved by itself. We´ve gradually made this thing bigger and bigger, from a little experimenting duo to an album-recording quintet.

335_1.jpg

How much different is it to play in Altered Aeon compared to your other bands?

Personally I play in a band called Scar Symmetry aside from Altered Aeon, those bands are the only really active bands I currently play with. And comparing my style in Altered Aeon with Scar Symmetry is like comparing night with day. Altered Aeon plays technical thrash metal while Scar Symmetry is a mid-tempo melodic death metal band. My style is more controlled and straightforward in Scar Symmetry while Altered Aeon demands more of a chaotic, crazy style of playing.

In December 2002 Theory In Practice announced they were taking a break … will there ever be another TiP album?

I think that is highly unlikely!

You are also playing in a black metal band, Mutant, but not much is happening there either at the moment… ?

Ehm, no. That band has been dead for several years too, there are no plans to resurrect that one either.

The promo sheet said AA genre was a technical-power-death metal but I think it only scratches the surface. I know musicians do not like this question, but how could you describe AA's music with your own words? How would you label it yourself?
Listening to Dispiritism, I hear in some elements it is similar to bands like Nevermore or Testament (and of course some things reminded me of Theory in Practice), not to mention some jazzish guitar parts and sound. Do you agree?

Well, as I said we play some sort of technical thrash metal with influences from just about every metal genre and we even take in other forms of music like fusionjazz aswell. But our musical base remains in technical thrash metal. Labels always come up with these crazy descriptions, we don´t even pay attention to that stuff!
It`s an honor if you hear bands like Testament and Nevermore in our music, personally I have a hard time being objective about the music Altered Aeon. To me we are just Altered Aeon and that`s it- we don`t sound like anyone else if you ask me. When I write the music for the songs I just go with a s...park of inspiration that just pops up from something, it might be a feel or a sudden idea that surfaces. I think that everything that I`ve heard in terms of music that I liked has been molded into the sound of Altered Aeon. Thrash and death metal obviously, fusionjazz- hell yeah! I mean, the band likes intricate well-played music where a lot of stuff is happening and that`s the kind of music I try to create. I think that a big inspiration for me as a composer is to come up with stuff that will make the other members happy. Stuff that they will want to learn and play because it sounds so cool, you know.

Reading the band's biography it sounds like you are the main songwriter. Is it true? Or how do the others contribute to the songs, to the sound of Altered Aeon?

Yeah, I`ve written just about all the music and lyrics for Altered Aeon so far. Anders contributes with bass-lines and he`s made a couple of riffs and passages too, Per contributes with harmonies and solos and alternative ways of playing some of my stuff. Kjell contributes with vocal lines and Niklas is just violating his guitar and he likes it that way, hehe.

You are all experienced, skilled musicians - probably with strong visions about the music you are playing -, did you agree easily on how Dispiritism's songs should sound like?

Usually there`s no problem, I think it has worked amazingly smooth when I`ve presented songs to the other members. 99% of the time they are totally into the songs right away and that`s great cause I`ve always spent a lot of work on the songs before the rest of the band even gets to hear them. So, if they think that the song sucks then that means hours of dedicated work down the trash can for me… or should I say THRASH can?
335_2.jpg

AA's music balances between aggressive, sharp thrash metal and progressive, technical melodic music with twisted turns here and there. The result is a powerful and 'living' music and when you listen to it you wanna headbang and sing along at the same time. How do you build up the songs?

Ha ha, thanks man. Those words are heart-warming! The songs are built differently from song to song, you know, there`s no real formula that I stick with all the way. I try to keep the material interesting by a minimum of repetition and a fair amount of cool little details that you don`t expect and stuff like that. I want the listener to be on their toes, and right when they think they´re secure- BAM! Something happens. I also like the dynamics between fast intense parts to slow and heavy sections. Or chaotic chromatic shit that just tranfers into melodic passages. There are always specific verses in the songs but that´s the only thing you can rely on, he he, that`s like the last oasis of secure ground in the compositions.

What is your basic template for how an AA song should sound like?

Original riffs, weird sense of groove, technical parts, straightforward parts, atonal parts, melodic parts, fast parts. Probably heavy parts too but more importantly- fast ones.

When you are composing the music, is there anything you generally put more emphasis on?

Originality, to go where no man has gone before. I remember teaching Per Altered Aeon-riffs in the beginning and he was like: ”This is not like anything I`ve played before!” And Per has played every style of music known to man, including death metal, different types of jazz, rock, pop, whatever. He had never seen note-combinations like mine before, he he.

There are a few surprising moments on Dispiritism. Let's start with the slow, psychedelic sounding part in the second song where Kjell's vocal is psychotic too. Beside that, your music is varied and technical enough why do you experiement with such unusual sound scapes? Or would you even liked to use more 'unexpected' passages on Dispiritism?

Because it is things like that that makes the music even more interesting. Remember the ”BAM! Something happens”-part? That`s it. The will to experiment and try different things is vital to a band like Altered Aeon. I don`t think we should have had MORE unexpected passages on this album, the ones that were there did their job and it`s no use to over-do the whole thing. In that case it loses its impact.

Kjell's vocals are amazing. He has done a really good job with thrash vocals and with clean singings too. At the clean parts his style reminded me to Simen sometimes, just more natural and elemental. I know he's been the other forming member but did it ever occur to you to do the vocals yourself?

No! I heard Kjell for the first time in Azotic Reign and his voice was pretty much the only thing I liked about the band and he made me want to form a thrash-type of band in the first place. So his voice was and is an important part of Altered Aeon. Without Kjell Altered Aeon wouldn`t have been so much of a thrash band cause I was thinking a lot about Kjell`s vocals when I wrote the songs in the beginning and I still do that.
335_5.jpg

Track 11 and 12 are not marked on the cover.

They`re not on the cover of the promo-CD`s, some kind of mistake by the label… Song number 11 is called ”Cellular Disorganization” and song number 12 is a cover of the song ”Welcome Home” by King Diamond.

Track 11 is an instrumental song that is much calmer comparing to the rest of the album. Why did you put it on the album? Will it be AA's new musical direction?

You know, song number 11 and 12 were supposed to be bonus tracks for the Japanese release and nothing else. But those songs ended up on every version of the album which is a mystery to the band, we asked Black Lotus about it but they`ve kept the reason a secret. I don`t know why! Anyway, song number 11 was written by Per and no- it`s not the new musical direction of Altered Aeon. It`s just an interesting sidestep and I think the song is really cool.

I can feel the connection between the album cover and its title... but that head looks a lot like the big rabbit in the movie Donnie Darko.

I love that movie! Wow, I`ve never thought about it like that before, now the cover looks even more amazing!
335_4.jpg

You formed the band together with Kjell. How did you gather the others?

Niklas is an old friend of mine, we`ve known eachother since we were like seven years old or something. I brought him into the band at an early stage and he was eager to join a band at that point. Per is also an old friend of mine, I`ve known him since I was 14 – right in the beginning of my musical career. I talked him into recording solos on the Altered Aeon-demo in 2003 and then he joined the band as a full member soon after the recording. I played with Anders in Theory In Practice and he was the logical choice when our first bassplayer left.

Who is Niklas Rehn? I mean he was the only one about whom I couln't find information in connection with other bands…

Yeah, who is that guy? Well, he`s a guitarist who played with my very first band Adversary in that band`s early stages. That was in 1990 and we were just 15-year old youngsters. He has also played classical guitar for some years and he`s been playing with me on and off in a couple of death metal-projects that didn´t record anything.

Fair question or not… what priority does Altered Aeon have in your life now? Scar Symmetry's new album just out for a few weeks…

I work with Altered Aeon everyday in some way, it`s like breathing to me. Obviously Scar Symmetry is facing some incredible success with the debut album ”Symmetric in Design” but I still want to push for Altered Aeon and ”Dispiritism” as much as possible. So the priority is split between the two bands, which is great because that gives variation to the musical life.

Have any of you had problem to share the time among the bands you play in?

So far there`s been no problems at all but we`re facing a hectic time this year with both Scar Symmetry and Altered Aeon pushing for their debut albums. We`ll just have to hope for the best and see what happens once the balls starts rolling for real. I`ll tell you all about it in the next interview!

Are there any plans to tour with AA in Europe?

There are no concrete plans but we`re willing to do it if we get the chance.

Generally, what are the plans with AA for 2005?

We will start playing live, that`s something we haven´t done yet with this band. New songs will be written of course and hopefully we`ll record the second Altered Aeon by the end of the year!

Any hobby beside music?

Reading! Preferably occult scriptures and other books that expand the mind and present original ideas that are interesting.

The lyrics and the music seem to walk hand in hand on Dispiritism. How important the lyrics are for you?

I wrote the lyrics except for the title ”Patriots of Sin” and the lyrics are actually very important for the concept of the band. The music and lyrics go hand in hand, that is a very correct assumption.

How much inspiration do you get from the books you read for AA's lyrics?

A lot. The stuff that I read that I really like is like a part of me so I don´t really know where the book begins and I end. I`m writing from my heart really but what I read just gives me a chance to elaborate on my own thoughts, so to speak. I think that we are generally bombarded with an attitude towards life that is sort of disillusioned and dispiriting. I like to have alternative ways to confront existence.

What things do you think of when you say 'we are bombarded with an attitude to.... ' ?

Well, you know...I think that people in general think of themselves as insignificant and that attitude paralyzes people, it makes people feel that it is useless to accomplish things. The whole mainstream media is really bombarding people with a sad outlook on life, I think. And it`s not just the media, it`s like a collective subconscious-thing that makes humans generally think too little of themselves. People get selfish because they think that it is useless to do anything but sort of try to get as much material things as possible.
That`s like a side-effect of the disillusioned state of mind in my opinion.I mean, those sides are in you and me aswell, but I think it`s important to really seek out opinions that aren´t really present in "mainstream media" or whatever because that stream is just interested in making people buy things and therefore encourages those sides in people.

You have the right to choose, to look for other options... so, why dont they do it?

That`s the trick question, isn`t it? But I think that an individual goes through different stages in life and at certain points people pick up these vital things and are ready to embrace them. My alternative is to really believe in systems that can`t be proved to exist but still seems to work when you use them and trust them 100%!

What are your alternative ways?

My alternative is to really believe in systems that can`t be proved to exist but still seems to work when you use them and trust them 100%! For example that your thoughts actually can create your future world, through visualization and meditation. Concentrated thought that echoes and manifests in the physical world. That example is used by athletes and business-men so it is accepted in many mainstream areas, people just don`t mention it much because of fear of ridicule. I think that the results from such activities speak for themselves. I believe in that 100%! It`s all about taking responsibility for what your life is like and if you`re not comfortable with it- work to change it to what you want for yourself.

Isn’t it just strong will, determination and dedication?

That comes with a belief like that. And yeah, that`s part of the manifesting process but it`s not the source of it. All I`m saying is that it is a good thing to NOT wave things off as "coincidence", "luck", "JUST this or that". If you apply meaning to everything and keep yourself burning with passion your life becomes more pleasant than if you embrace a dispiriting attitude. But what I see out in the world is all about embracing a disillusioned and dispiriting attitude. "Isn`t it just..." and all that. mean, the pure meaning of life for many is to blame others. And that is what I call "Focusing on problems instead of solutions"!

Have you seen Matrix?

Yeah, I`ve seen the movie.
335_3.jpg

And what do you think, how many people would choose awakening instaed of living in that 'happy' world that was created for their mind?

Oh well, "awakening" seems gruesome in that particular movie he he. Who would want to wake up to that!?

You are right, but literally... lots of people in our commercial world are asleep...

Yeah sure. and that is fine with me as long as it`s not a problem for those who "sleep". The trouble begins with suffering and thinking that "this is the only way". I think we`re all asleep. we can`t grasp much in these mortal minds, we have to create an illusion to be able to feel some sense of control. I might be wrong, you know, I`m just sharing my personal illusion. ;-)

Are we all insignificant?

I don`t think so, I think we`re very significant. I mean, each and every one of us is a spark of creation which means we`re all gods who can affect our own destiny. If you can take charge of your own life, destiny or whatever and become what you truly are and many others do the same, I think that the world will actually change. I think that every action resonates farther away than we actually know. It`s like this thing with music, you record an album not thinking about it much and after some time you hear people getting affected by it from the far corners of the earth.

Do you think humanity will ever mature enough to act like that?

I think that people want to be happy and understanding that is really the only thing that is needed, I don`t think we need to mature so much. I`ve realized that people are children all their lives, we never really "grow up", I think that that term is something that is just not true. It`s just about roles. When you`re a kid you have this idea that you grow up and that idea follows us for a long time, some people have constant angst because they never feel they`re "growing up".

I still think that most of the people who live in the western world only want a comfortable life without looking too far ahead, and only half of them think about the future.

Yeah, you know..in the end we don`t want a less comfortable life and we can`t really relate to pictures on TV or people on the other side of the planet. Yep, that`s the western kind of life. I think that our animal side tells us to get all we can get our hands on and keep it without sharing. And for those who only trust what they see...well, they look around in this world and feel that everything is meaningless and they just want to have everything they can get without thinking about others. Cause when you just trust your physical world then the animal side of you is the only thing that exists.

What is the song, Behind „The Lodge Door”, about? It has got a mystical feeling.

The lyrics for that song is really about freemasons. It`s takes too much time to sum their history here but they`ve been existing for a long time and they originally built buildings according to where the energy lines of the earth were. Churches used to be built at energy centres for example and the reason is basically the same as the ideas behind Feng Shui. To keep the energy flowing free and creating the best vibe possible for rituals or just living in general. Later on they became a decadent bunch of rich people with an interest in the occult, not all of them but some.
Freemasons has a lot of conspiracy theories around them. Bush and many other "significant" becomes members of freemasonic lodges during their education. "Behind the lodge door" really displays a ritual of initiation where a newcomer is being taken into the lodge.

What did you mean with the song title ’The Resonance Of Form In Transition’?

He he, it is cryptic isn`t it? I told you earlier about the belief that thoughts "resonate" and create realities. A form in transition is a being in change and the resonance of that change is powerful! Am I making any sense with that? That lyric is about a person who breaks free from the dispiriting attitude and embraces a new one that fits his purpose better.

Before we started to talk, when I read the lyric of „Desensitizer”, I wanted to ask if it was inspried by sci-fi novels.

Well, that lyric is a bit sci-fi inspired. Kjell came up with that lyrical idea and I wrote from his basic idea. So..you weren`t far off.

Who are Patriots of Sin?

The Patriots of Sin are pretty much all the role-models for evil, different people that doesn’t „fit in". They lyrics concentrates on past and present time witches because they are a perfect example. People that are made to suffer because they`re different. People that are executed or violated because they don`t fit in and stuff like that.

Like Jesus…

He he, yeah. But he`s not cool enough to be made an example in Altered Aeon-lyrics!

Does Patriots of sin connect to Carpe Noctem?

In what way do you see a connection?

Patriots of Sin is about people who doesn’t fit in and regular people have fears of night and darkness. While the ones who don’t ft in might be not bonded buy such innervations.

The connection you saw is valid even though it wasn´t really my intention to have a connection between those two lyrics. Carpe Noctem is really about me, late at night, in a very strange state of mind! I really wrote about a personal experience AS I experienced it.

Would you tell more about it?

He he, I don`t know if I can. I just try to describe some sort of feeling or state of mind in the lyrics for "Carpe Noctem". I don`t remember exactly, I think it was exhaustion and relaxation and a good timing as far as time and space went.
Nights are quiet. And there`s a whole different feel compared to day, it`s a vibe that makes you think anything can happen. At day ghosts may seem like a far-off idea to a sceptic but at night...they`re no longer so sure. I think that night is a very good time to connect to more unusual aspects of yourself. I think that everyone feels a bit unusual at night. I don`t think that people who "don´t believe in anything" feels that way all the time, just as believers can`t keep their faith all the time. The world is anything but black and white.

By the way, how do you write lyrics? Does the inspiration come whenever, or are you consciously working on them?

I basically start writing when I get an idea but if I`m doing something else and I can`t sit down and write at that moment I will just memorize the idea til later or I`ll write down a title or something.

Reading Oath to Endure, do you believe in transmigration of souls?

I`m...ehm, open to the idea. This song is "being" a soul and waking up in a mortal body. You know, being a soul that has a body rather than being a body that has a soul. I won`t state something as being an ultimate truth but the idea that the soul transcends death is very present in all the Altered Aeon-lyrics. That`s like a theory that I`m working from because it is more empowering for an individual to think in those terms, rather than being a clump of flesh that has 80 years and then vanishes into nothing.

You can`t be sure of anything in the first place so why not choose a "truth" that is as empowering as possible. There are proofs for just about anything, you really find whatever you want to find out there. No one is 100% sure of anything. You may be for a moment but you know, opinions vary..a lot. We`re like small cells, grasping an opinion and becoming one with it. Then we battle anyone who has become one with another opinion.

In song Lights Creates Shadows I liked the part 'within the reason .... in nothing at all' .

Yeah, that`s the climax-verse. Where the core of the lyric is explained. There`s a lot of words in that song, he he. The kind of lyrics that make vocalists go insane.
335_6.jpg

I feel this song is a bit more agressive.

Hmm, yeah, it`s coloured by a certain amount of contempt. It´s contempt directed towards those who believe they have an ultimate truth of any form.

What do you think about people who commit suicide?

Ehm, suicide. I can understand why people do it but I think that it should be avoided for as long as possible. I think that it is a weird way of exiting the physical plane. It sort of disturbs the order of things. I can definetly understand the feeling that makes you wanna kill yourself.

Have you ever felt like that?

Well, no. I haven´t ever considered killing myself. But I can picture a situation where I would probably want to leave this place.

I can sense it from the lyrics of Transcendence Duology.

Yeah, "Transcendence..." is about a person who committs suicide.

Is there anything else you would like to say about the lyrics on Dispiritsm?

He he, nope. Not unless you have some more questions! I am your servant. Servant of the Hungarian Lioness. Hmmm, that may actually become a title for a future release!

Typical question… what have you been listening to lately?

Necrophagist-Epitaph, Johnny Cash - various songs, Altered Aeon – Dispritism, Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design, Kiss - all albums, Morbid Angel - Entangled in Chaos and well…all I can think of right now.

Thanks for the interview, hope to see you in Hungary soon!
Last words are yours…

Thank YOU! Regards to those who read this and don´t forget to stop by www.alteredaeon.cjb.net for constant info on the band! If you can`t find ”Dispiritism” at your local store, please contact Black Lotus at: invaders@otenet.gr !
Cheers!

UltimateMetal's Review of Altered Aeon - Dispiritism