Ambient

Ultimate_Symphony

Rusted Angel
Jul 18, 2002
Ambient music is really not my forte and I would love some help here. I'm looking for some relaxing music, but that still retains a lot of darkness. I've looked around on the net and still haven't found anything that completely overwhelms me.

Bands that I already know of: Vinterriket, Paysage D'hiver, Ildjarn, Coldworld.

Leviathan - A Sihouette In Splinters

The first track on the cd is my favorite ambient piece. The tracklisting on the vinyl is different. The Metal Archives listing does not reflect this yet, I'm pretty sure.

^ That's a compilation album by Leviathan(US) right?
I'm not sure. I'm inclined to believe so, but I haven't located those tracks on any other releases. Perhaps they come from the Leviathan demos with I, II, III, etc. track lists. It was a limited vinyl only release initially, so it got little attention (also because the opinion leaders on this forum don't like Leviathan). It came out on cd this year, so you don't have to pay out the ass for it on ebay anymore.

Raison d'être
Lustmord

Also, you might like some neoclassical darkwave and related stuff, e.g. Arcana, Dark Sanctuary, Dead Can Dance, Daemonia Nymphe, Elend (warning: Elend is often not very relaxing at all).

Kammarheit - The Starwheel

Here is a sample of Kammarheit.
http://www.cycliclaw.com/media/The Starwheel [counter].mp3

I would also recommend you check out some of the other ambient projects features on the Cyclic Law site.

For some reason the link doesn't work, fuck.

Also, you might like some neoclassical darkwave and related stuff, e.g. Arcana, Dark Sanctuary, Dead Can Dance, Daemonia Nymphe, Elend (warning: Elend is often not very relaxing at all).

I got albums by Arcana, Elend, Dead Can Dance, Dark Sanctuary and Chaostar's self-titled, awesome stuff. I'm gonna check the rest of the stuff you guys mentioned, thanks!

I got albums by Arcana, Elend, Dead Can Dance, Dark Sanctuary and Chaostar's self-titled, awesome stuff. I'm gonna check the rest of the stuff you guys mentioned, thanks!

More along these lines ^^ : Amber asylum (a must.), autumn tears (if you like ds), love spirals downward, lycia, all faith is lost, black tape for a blue girl, arvo part, dargaard, die verbanten kinder evas, sopor aeternus, max richter, coil (music to play in the dark albums) A varied list, but some great stuff within.

Check out Nachtpsalm and Rat King. They both added me recently on myspace and I dig their shit.

There's also this band called Verganglichkeit... found them in a thread a while back. They're a mid-paced ambient BM band. Their albums are up for free download on their site.