Dark Ambient...

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
Okay, What's out there in this style of music? I'm not really looking for anything with metal or anything that is heavily trance related though. I'm thinking stuff like Kammerheit, Northaunt, Svartsinn, Post Scriptvm, Auricular, I.Corax, or anythign that is just slow brooding dark ambient. I've heard the Nord Ambient Alliance, which is a compilation of Kamerheit, Northaunt, Svartsinn, Predominance, and Instincts. This is exactly what I want. Stuff that mimmicks the sounds of nature into a relaxing, brooding, evil atmosphere.

What do you guys suggest?

Convalescent. Another project from the guy behind Contra Ignem Fatuum. The album Before Sunrise is excellent.

Also, not particularly what you're looking for, but still worth checking out:
Diagnose: Lebensgefahr

For those not in the know, Diagnose: Lebensgefahr is the Ambient/Industrial/Drone project by Nattramn (formerly of Silencer). The album Transformalin was made as a result of an offer for Nattramn to write and produce music for one year as part of his therpay and rehabillitation by the Växjö Psychiatric Ward and Växjö Health and insurance office.

In my opinion the result is pretty varied, some of it being rather dull, with other parts drawing you in completely. Definitely worth a listen.

Ok then
Some of these are dark ambient, others are just regular ambient:
Worldshield
Lähtö
Eluvium
Library Tapes
Deaf Center
Sirk
Leaping Balconies! Kissing Asphalt!
This Quiet Dust
Winter Lull
Echoes Therein Gale
Umbra

Lustmord

But also:

Yen Pox
Atrium Carceri
Raison d'Etre
Nordvargr
Herbst9
Desiderii Marginis
Coil (only some songs/releases though, a lot are not strictly ambient nor instrumental but still an absolutely essential band for anyone into dark electronic music)

listening to hin-fort - trist, im getting the chills, definitely a must check out :)