AMD FX series processors

Brender500

Mar 16, 2010
I am going to be buying a new desktop soon and I was wondering if this series of processors would be good for a computer that will be mainly for recording. I usually only have about 30 tracks and most of them have FXs on them.

so what are your guys thought? Are any of you currently running a system with a processors in this series?

Can the current FX series do recording of 30 tracks with FX on them? Yeah, with flying colors.

Like all AMD it will be good, but not the best in terms of performance but is bar none in the price to performance department. Still with the currency gen AMD processors it would take some effort to bog them down. Would still be relatively easy to though.

I would say if you are on a budget go for it.

All the posts after mine I can imagine will be a long the lines of "AMD sux get a core i5, Intel is teh best CPUz evar!"

Thanks. Although I do like intel better Even though I have nothing against AMD. The I series processors Are alot more expensive.

I would read up on it, before you decide if it'll be good for you.. people always recommend the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4GHz Black Edition instead..
I thought about going for the FX-series, but what I found out is that it has a worse performance than the above Phenom II, also worse than a dual core Pentium..
Instead I saved up for a few months and got the Core i5 3570K, that I run at 4,2Ghz with a Cooler Master Hyper 2012 EVO cooler..
Intel will be releasing a new processor-line in about March, so if you can wait, it'll be a lot better than anything out now..

Another problem with the FX-series is that it has a new way in terms of core-handling, that Windows isn't designed for.. so it can't perform as it should..
Microsoft released a fix that increased performance by about 5 - 10%, but it's still not good enough..
There are claims that it will work better in Win 8.. but Win 8 looks like another Vista..

I would read up on it, before you decide if it'll be good for you.. people always recommend the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4GHz Black Edition instead..

You bring up a good point. Might I recommend to the OP the new AMD 6 core processors. With affinity control, you can deticate up to four cores for just your DAW, or maybe four cores for the OS and other programs, and four for your DAW, two of the total cores will be shared and your DAW will get two cores just for itself. There are many ways you can slice the cake for affinity when it comes to more than 4 cores, look into it.

my recording PC has a phenom II X6 1095, and it works pretty damned well even for my somewhat computer illiterate ass. i haven't done any sort of overclocking or assigning individual cores or any of that, simply because there's been no need to. for the $95 i paid for the CPU, seems like a no-brainer, unless you're hell-bent on dishing out for an intel.

Thanks for all the help guys. Currently I am switching from a laptop to a desktop. So since I have to get a Desktop I am on a tight budget with the CPU. I just ordered a custom computer yesterday and I went with the 6 core fx series. I figure if I don't like it I can always upgrade later on to a high end phenom. Seeing as How I just do recording for fun though I think the CPU will work for what I need.

wow according to the benchmark the amd im running currently is terrible(3438) and i always have 100+ plugins on my projects and it can normally handle that at 256 buffer size so you are doubling that or more then you are set for a while. i think its time for me to get that 8 core fx haha