Multicore Single Processor vs Dual Server Processors

LuketheDuke

Storm Trooper
Sep 19, 2011
Zanesville, OH
With my recent upgrade to PT10 and my large track/plugin count, my 6-Core, 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II processor just isnt cutting it. I felt like my system with crazy fast and stable, but recently, Pro Tools has been throwing "CPU Usage" warnings at me like I'm the last person left playing dodgeball....even when I mess with the system playback settings.

So, to further delve into my question,

What do you think the most cost/performance effective upgrade would be to my computer? Would it be worth it to dump my current setup and go for a server mobo/processors? Should I buy a warehouse and run all analog equipment?

Here are the specifics of my computer:

AMD Phenom II 1090 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
ASUS M5A88 Mobo
GSkill 8GB DDR3 Ram (2x4GB)
XFX 450W PS

Running 64Bit Windows 7 Home

Thanks!

Yeah wait till Juneish because that's when 17 new Intel processors will be released and each much better than the current ones out. Apparently they will come out in late April but I'd play it safe with June. I've been using AMD forever and I have the 1055T 6-core but I think it's about time to switch over to intel when the Ivy bridges come out.

Intel definitely seems the way to go. Not to harp on AMD, since the price-to-performance beats Intel any day, but my the overall performance it gave me just left me wanting more.

But have any of you had experience switching from a regular desktop setup to an internal server setup?

Also, I'm not sure if my situation is a multitasking or a processing speed problem...can ya help me out?

Also, I'm not sure if my situation is a multitasking or a processing speed problem...can ya help me out?

I had all sorts of problem with my new computer before i optimized it with the help from the DUC forum. Do what it says there and if you're not experience any change then there is a good reason that it is your cpu that can't handle your mix projects