Laptop VS Desktop: The Battle Continues

just as well you didn't get a laptop

they tend to scale the speed of the CPU depending on usage, temperature, moon alignment, etc. and cubase is certainly not a fan of that shit.

my "2.16ghz" core 2 duo is actually a 0.97ghz core 2 duo for most of the time, upto 2.16ghz when cubase needs it, until it gets to hot, then it's back down to 970mhz again.

didn't realise it was the source of all my strange problems until i accidentally left CPUID running whilst using cubase..!

thanks,

hmm.
I would think there would be a way to disable that in the bios or something?
pretty sure they would only do that on the mobile processors for power saving issues or something.

control panel > power options > power scheme "home office/desk"

100% power at all times; no more throttling. it throttles to save battery life.

PC fo sho! I have always loathed the idea of using a laptop for recording, not only cause i don't like laptops, but it just doesn't have the big recording feel to it IMO. Also, more ports for things and extra docks

iHate, this only affects monitor brightness, standby times, etc. disabling CPU throttling is something generally done in the BIOS.

difficult to get into, when running a mac :| haha

thanks,

HOLY FUCK Y'ALL.

I just enabled ACC in the bios and I'M RUNNING ALL FUCKING 4 CORES. Shit was easy as fuck?
Set it to AUTO and i'm gold. what the fuck. this processor is basically a denab phenom II with the ddr3 and other cores disabled, but boom, shit is on. i'm nerdin' out y'all!!!!

athlonx2_5000_quadcore01.jpg

athlonx2_5000_quadcore02.jpg

fuck yes. basically a $99 quad core phenom. raep.

Interestingly, that shit shows up as a Phenom FX 5000 in device manager and the windows rating thing.
I loaded up Crysis and Far Cry 2 to test and could totally tell this shit is working, much smoother. LUV IT.

athlonx2_5000_quadcore03_phenomfx.jpg