Americans are naturally quite defensive aren't they?

heh, still cant believe US is ranked 4th. i dont think i can watch a Cup with the US ranked that high.

@Dev: is it true that France outlawed headscarves (like the kind muslims wear)?

JayKeeley said:
Now if HE had said that, it would be ok. But since The Sun said it, he got annoyed and mentioned something derogatory about Prince Charles, as if anyone would even give a shit.
I think we (we... meaning anyone with a brain) recognize this country is fucked. However, we don't care for countries, who in many ways live under our protective wing, making fun of us. And if you think about it, that makes sense on some level.

Zod

dorian gray said:
heh, still cant believe US is ranked 4th. i dont think i can watch a Cup with the US ranked that high.

@Dev: is it true that France outlawed headscarves (like the kind muslims wear)?

In theory you can't go to school with that or any other visible religious sign i.e cross/headscarve and so on but in pratice -> :rolleyes:

You often see at the News muslim girls that try to enter school with one of these. It's a shame these people can't accept and obey the law but the government is afraid of interveining because of the growing and already big muslim community.Bunch of pussies.Anyway France is doomed. The next generation (with I am part of) = lazy asses, poor stupid people that don't even give a shit about anything . France is already is serious trouble and this is only the beginning.

The French are defensive and arrogant also but :

a) they aren't a superpower, they don't weigh shit on the international shit anymore
b) that's why they're jealous
c) they're of bunch of pussies that whine for anything and opposed to any mandatory 'liberal' reforms (see recent crisis)

The law was pretty much completely targeted toward Muslims, right? I guess I can understand why they'd rebel against that.

In the meantime, we're singing the national anthem in Spanish. Haha

It indeed coincided with the problems of headscraves obviously yeah. No one has a big Christian cross :)

However the laicity of school among other things is not recent at all (~ 1 century) . Why one should modify a law because some people who were not even here in the first place? I think you adapt to a country, you do not adapt the country to yourself.

france kicks ass. kinda. not really. but they have cool laws. and they dont like muslims. which is cool. no offense to muslims or anything. theyre just stupid. :lol:

Dev said:
World Cup has replaced War in Western Europe :loco:

Abso-fucken-lutely.

There is no question that the hatred the English have towards the Germans all stems from WW2 (and the Battle of Britain).

Likewise towards Argentina due to the Falklands War.

Honestly, England beating Germany or Argentina is at times more important than winning the trophy. :loco:

isnt germany ranked something terrible like 19th? how bout england?
brazil is #1 i think

dorian gray said:
isnt germany ranked something terrible like 19th? how bout england?
brazil is #1 i think

Dorian - ignore the rankings. FIFA are screwed up. Nobody takes that shit seriously. Right now, USA are 4th and Italy (the favorites to win it this year) are 14th. I think Nigeria are like 9th.

The rankings mean diddly squat. (I think England were 9th but this shit changes every week).

The only time rankings work is when they have to seed the teams so you only get one seeded team per group. Otherwise you might have Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and England all in the same group in round 1 and they would never let that happen.

General Zod said:
I think we (we... meaning anyone with a brain) recognize this country is fucked. However, we don't care for countries, who in many ways live under our protective wing, making fun of us. And if you think about it, that makes sense on some level.

Zod

I think when it comes to George Dubya, you're asking for it! :lol: I mean, come on, you gotta even let the Taliban laugh at that one.

By the way, I remember an oooold interview with Ozzy back in the day just after his arrest in Texas. Ozzy pissed on the Alamo and the arresting officer said, "hey man, how you would you like it if I pissed on Buckingham Palace", to which Ozzy replied, "go right ahead man, I couldn't give a shit".

And that pretty much sums it up. I think most people are more chilled out about their respective nations.

going back to topic ...

JK, do you seriously believe that no other nation is defensive ... Americans are just louder

lol @ ozzy. cant go around pissing on stuff though. that stuff stinks after awhile

JayKeeley said:
I think when it comes to George Dubya, you're asking for it! :lol: I mean, come on, you gotta even let the Taliban laugh at that one.
Oh yeah... him they can say what they want about. If I caught an Osama bin Laden "One Night Stand" comedy special on HBO, and he was doing jokes about Bush, I'd be laughing my ass off. I know many will label me a left-wing, wing-nut for saying it, but Bush has done more damage to this country and this world, than bin Laden could ever dream of.

Zod

lurch70 said:
going back to topic ...

JK, do you seriously believe that no other nation is defensive ... Americans are just louder

Maybe not. I dunno, maybe the volume levels here make it all the more deafening. :p But if you go on "vibe" alone, the Brits & Aussies for certain are quite laid back and can laugh at themselves quite openly.

If the Dixie Chicks were British, and they went to Texas and announced what a douchebag Tony Blair was, I don't think the Brits would cast them out and call them "Saddam's Angels" etc. Ugh.

General Zod said:
Oh yeah... him they can say what they want about. If I caught an Osama bin Laden "One Night Stand" comedy special on HBO, and he was doing jokes about Bush, I'd be laughing my ass off. I know many will label me a left-wing, wing-nut for saying it, but Bush has done more damage to this country and this world, than bin Laden could ever dream of.

Zod

Hehe, yeah. The closest you get to that is when SNL do those skits with Osama and gang hiding out in a cave...so funny. But apparently, SNL receives most complaints for those sketches, people thinking it's bad taste to "side with the enemy" blah.

i get defensive only when other countries make a blanket statement about all americans or when another american in another state makes a generalization about Texans.

I don't think I've ever been competitive in my entire life, I think it's a waste of time. It's why I was never good at sports, it had nothing to do with my athleticism, I just never cared. I'm definitely in the minority there.

Generally speaking I'm more offensive than defensive, but I get that way as well.