Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Amon Amarth – With Oden On Our Side
Metal Blade - 2006
By Katalin Sipos

AA1.jpg

Our favourite vikings are back. With Oden On Our Side is the sixth full-length in Amon Amarth’s discography. The music is still viking metal, in this case melodeath with lyrics based on the band’s viking ancestry and Scandinavian tales/mythology in general. So, after fourteen years and six albums written in the same vein, do they fail, or are they able to remain our favourite band? Well, I can reassure their fans that there is still spirit left in these guys!

With five solid records behind them expectations are high, and the many question whether the band can measure up to them? The answer is definitely yes. They are not just repeating the same old formula again and again, instead they always try to add something new; to do things differently here and there, and stay fresh sounding. Till now, the highlight of their career was the powerful Versus the World album, but I believe the new one will become another milestone in their history.

The music on With Oden On Our Side has generally became a bit slower and more melodic, and as a result sounds even more epic. This feel was always present, but previously was tempered with a more aggressive edge. Though they are still powerful and furious, the music is just somehow easier to listen to. The riffs are memorable, the choruses are catchy, and guitar leads are more reminiscent of traditional heavy metal. The lyrics are also very well-written - I wish I had the time and space to quote from every song but let’s just sum it up with: ”Victory will be ours”.
Album opener, ’Valhalla Awaits Me’ is an up-tempo thrash song with a thrilling guitar lead. ’Runes To My Memory’, ’Gods Of War Arise’, the title track and ’Cry Of The Black Birds’ are typical Amon Amarth, while ’Asator’ is their heaviest death metal song written in a while, and as Johann] growls and shouts ’fiiiire’ you wanna join them in battle. ’Hermod’s Ride To Hell’ is a nice epic hymn, slower in pace, just like the melodic ’Under The Northern Star’, or the last song on the album, ’Prediction Of Warfare’.

What else is worth mentioning about Amon Amarth’s new album? There are two significant things to point out. First, this time around they concentrated 100% on the music - writing and rehearsing everyday. So they had the time to improve, and you can feel it on the songs. Even Johann’s vocals have improved - and I really liked his understandable growl before. Secondly, the band moved to a new studio, namely Fascination Street Studios where they worked with the producer, Jens Bogren (Opeth, Katatonia, Soilwork).

In conclusion, this is a new beginning and victory will be Amon Amarth’s!

Official Amon Amarth website
Official Metal Blade Records website

I saw a music video of them, and it reminded me of the Versus The World sound. I haven't heard this album yet, but I was a bit dissapointed with Fate Of Norns.

"They are not just repeating the same old formula again and again, instead they always try to add something new"

Hahahahaha. Ha.

"They are not just repeating the same old formula again and again, instead they always try to add something new"

Hahahahaha. Ha.
I agree... Their stuff has become a bit stagnant, but it does still kick butt, eh?

Well, it hasn't become overwhelmingly stagnant. As I said, they do still kick a fair bit of tush! I said a bit, because that is a very vague amount. I did get the chance to hear the new album (finally), and I've got to say I really like it a lot more than Fate Of Norns because the production is a lot stronger, and effects are used more appropriately this time around. The guitar melodies are a bit similar to the style on Versus The World, and I really loved that album... Plus the vocals are brutal as heck. I will probably own this album soon enough. :)

Brutal vocals, I must agree. I love the sound of Amon Amarth, and they're a relatively new finding for me, the band bares a large diffrentiality as to what I'd usually listen to. This album has that specific quality where I can sit back, listen and the imagination is wild. The style of music feeds an animation of battle in my mind, which means the message provides a strong, thorough vibe which connects to the listener making it so fantastic. I'd give it a 9 or more, fucking excellent.

amon is not a band thats gonna shake the metal world anytime soon, they write music to windmill and worship pagan gods too. It may seeem like a repeated formula but hell, its the ONLY formula for viking metal.

Yo too bad this bands fucking badass so if you want to challenge them on there repetitive sound then go for it they'll just kill you and sacrifice your ass to ODEN! But yeah this albums really good so get it and listen to Gods of War Arise because its sick as shit.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! best fuckin viking band in the world. this is beyond their best album. valhall awaits has the most badass lyrics and asator is fuckin amazing. their up on my list of top bands

BEST AMON YET!!! so fucking epic. This album is more approachable than their previous efforts. I think ANY...I MEAN ANY metalhead could appreciate this one to the fullest. Every time i listen to it i want to hop on a ship and throw on a viking helmet proceeding to pillage a village and slay townspeople.JUST FOR THE FUCK OF IT!
my review 10/10...and thats no b.s. my fav song is cry of the blackbirds

I do a metal podacast show and there was a request for some Amon Amarth. Now I've heard the name, but never listened to them. Played "Cry of the Blackbirds", and then went and got the cd. I'm hooked. Yestrday I bought "Fate of Norns". I have a question for the Veteran Amon Amarth fans here...which CD should I pick up next :

Versus the World
The Crusher
Avenger
Once Sent From the Golden Hall

this album is a little too basic for my tastes, not really a great creative achievement by any means, for fans of the basicness of green day and offspring say you. I do enjoy a couple songs but nothing I would go crazy for.

dude this album is fucken sick! It is slower then previous works but its still heavy and as the reviewer said its more melodic and catchy but still being really heavy and having the Amon Amarth sound we all love!

my favorite song on this album is the "cry of the black birds". The guitar intro is what got me! If you don't got this album fuck man you need to go get it. I cant wait till sounds of the underground.