Votes: 16 37.2%
  • The Avenger

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • The Crusher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Versus The World

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
What is their not to like about Amon Amarth? They possess all traits from early Swedish death metal bands, killer melodies, nice growl vocals and groovy drums. :worship: ...as well as being an excellent live act!

Amon Amarth, for the most part, is melodeath. The difference is that they occasionally manage to pull themselves up onto a higher platform.

Pyrus said:
Amon Amarth is melodeath for people who hate melodeath. Definitely not Viking metal.

They are viking metal. Viking metal is a genre (using the term extremely loosely) that depends solely on lyrical themes, etc. If a band has Norse/Asatru themes, it is more than likely that they're considered Viking metal. However, people like you and a lot of others have bastardized the meaning to mean something like "Any random folk blackened metal band".

V.V.V.V.V. said:
They are viking metal. Viking metal is a genre (using the term extremely loosely) that depends solely on lyrical themes, etc. If a band has Norse/Asatru themes, it is more than likely that they're considered Viking metal. However, people like you and a lot of others have bastardized the meaning to mean something like "Any random folk blackened metal band".
Agreed. That said, they are still melodic death.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Agreed. That said, they are still melodic death.

Indeed they are.

While I'm here, I might like to explain the difference between melo-death and melodic death metal. Melo-death is a genre started by those notorious Swedish bands back in the early 90's or so. This genre is characterized by death metal with a varying degree of power metal influence in the speed, riffing, and drumming departments. Bands like Nightrage, Holymarsh, and Ablaze My Sorrow are part of this genre.

Melodic death, however, is a genre of bands that are CLEARLY death metal, but have enough melody to set them apart from the mold. Bands like Amon Amarth, Kronos, Intestine Baalism, etc. are part of this genre.

There, now you know the truth. Be safe, kids.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Indeed they are.

While I'm here, I might like to explain the difference between melo-death and melodic death metal. Melo-death is a genre started by those notorious Swedish bands back in the early 90's or so. This genre is characterized by death metal with a varying degree of power metal influence in the speed, riffing, and drumming departments. Bands like Nightrage, Holymarsh, and Ablaze My Sorrow are part of this genre.

Melodic death, however, is a genre of bands that are CLEARLY death metal, but have enough melody to set them apart from the mold. Bands like Amon Amarth, Kronos, Intestine Baalism, etc. are part of this genre.

There, now you know the truth. Be safe, kids.

Considering melo-death is a short form for Melodic Death i dont think the second name is enough to differentiate the genres. Death w/ melody seems a tad different. With the word Death first its easy to realize that the bands in the genre are first and foremost, Death Metal.

Pyrus said:
They draw a lot more influences from the Stockholm scene (thrashy bands like Dismember and early Entombed) than most Gothenburg bands. One of the few melodic bands enjoyed by people who hate melodeath, such as myself.

Why would you hate the top echelon of melodeath? Shit, except for , awwww, shit!

What? Why?