Amorphis Album #12 (September 4, 2015)

Luoto

Jun 27, 2009
Oulu, Finland
Another interview, but nothing special:

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/interview-amorphis-new-album-update-nuclear-blast/

They've also been posting several pics from the studio on their Twitter and Facebook. I'm too lazy to look it up, though.

On a different not, did Tomi J cut his dreadlocks?

CHOo1YsUgAADRSe.jpg:large

Great pic, btw. Would look great for the new forum banner once the album is released (if Tina decides to change it :p).

It's a nice pic. But, frankly, if someone took a picture of me and didn't retouch the bags under my eyes, I would have killed him :lol:

P.S. He did cut his dreadlocks indeed. A while ago, at that.

Those bags do add some level of badassery.

Weird that I didn't notice he cut his dreadlocks. Or maybe it's not. Come to think of it, aside from few gig reports, I didn't really see or read anything Amo related in quite a while.

I was bored and pulled out some studio pics guys posted on their Twitter. Here's a couple:

CFMrv4FWMAAtS1H.jpg:large

CE_tXycWIAAakI-.jpg:large

CEv0PJdUEAAes8Q.jpg:large

CEkTpzWWgAA4-kq.jpg:large

CDX-oaIWAAAkHkS.jpg:large

CCk7YicUAAAmaLE.jpg:large

CB7lJKcXIAA_eYL.jpg:large

CB2ujfmWYAA4474.jpg:large

CAUPuLKW8AAoJZt.jpg:large

Apparently, Jens Bogren is producing it. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not - I have listened to only a few albums he produced - but I can't recall much.

Bogren is the king of warm sounding metal mixes that are heavy, but still live sounding and not overprocessed IMO. A lot of what he can do with an album depends on how much control the band gives him over the sound during the recording and how much violence the label does to the mix afterwards during the mastering. I mentioned loving the sound he got for Daylight Dies in this post, but if you really want to know what Jens is capable of as a sound engineer, you should get your best set of headphones out and listen to Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance in a quiet environment. Imagine how Amorphis would sound with a mix like he did for Soil's Song. Guitars sound really good, but listen to the drums and the cymbals in the verse and the detail on that bass. And listen to how much of a sense of space the recording has. Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say that I am excited now - that is the way I always wished Amorphis would sound like, that is the sound that their work deserves. I really hope that Jens gets the full creative control over this.
And I need to listen to that Katatonia album now.

The album will be titled "Under The Red Cloud". Tracklist:

01. Under The Red Cloud
02. The Four Wise Ones
03. Bad Blood
04. The Skull
05. Death Of A King
06. Sacrifice
07. Dark Path
08. Enemy At The Gates
09. Tree Of Ages
10. White Night
Bonus tracks (digipak & 2LP):
11. Come The Spring
12. Winter’s Sleep

Here's the awesome album cover (apologies for the large image):

430846.jpg

Had a look at the pre-order options. I think I'll just wait for the official release and get the CD at a normal price from the local dealer. NB are notorious for their shipping prices - they charge as if they're shipping to Mars, not to Bulgaria.

Had a look at the pre-order options. I think I'll just wait for the official release and get the CD at a normal price from the local dealer. NB are notorious for their shipping prices - they charge as if they're shipping to Mars, not to Bulgaria.

Yeah, you're right, I kinda forgot about that. Oh well, I'll get the album either way.

You might also want to keep an eye on this page. No announcement there yet, but it's the most likely place for that thirteenth track to show up if it's destined to be published at all. And they ship incredibly fast.

:headbang::headbang::headbang:
Nothing more to say about the Death Of a King.

Almost always the single songs are not my favorites, but this was awesome.
Heavy, ambiance song and (which was the best thing IMO) a riff in the backround which kind of reminds me from Amorphis more folkish era.

Related to Tina's pre-listening report, the first making-of video offers a perfect match to her description of the title track. Makes me want to pick up the guitar, actually!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait but have I missed something? Seems some here have hear Death Of a King already but not finding it anywhere to stream...!?