Amorphis - Eclipse Review

astrofaes

Sep 14, 2004
Review for new Amorphis album up here:

Amorphis :: Eclipse Review @ Astrofaes Metal Domain

Fans of metal in general will appreciate this, although it's audience will probably be slightly biased towards those into progressive metal/rock. Personally, I quite liked this album despite the cheesiness in some areas :)

how does it compare with their past efforts? is it their heaviest album for a long time as they have stated? any growls? you should always mention these things especially with a long-running band like amorphis.

This album is superb in my opinion. It is a heavier record than the last two releases. It has the most growl vocals since Elegy. I think Pasi Koskinen was a great vocalist for Amorphis and I miss him but Tomi is a great replacement. he is a nice guy too very approachable.

The album has a few of the delay drenched parts like Tuonela and Am Universe and it is also very straightforward like Far From the Sun.

If i could make a cliche comparsion I would say it is a mixture of Tales from the Thousand Lakes and Am Universe. I hope this record does really well. Amorphis deserve it.

Finally heard this. First, the most notable thing is song length. Each song is 2-3 minutes and it helps a lot. The songs are direct and to the point with choruses usually repeating only once. Second, the music has a folkier feel and combined with the new singer's deeper voice seems to work well. Third, no silly reggae sounding 'ballads' as on the last 2 or 3 albums.

I'd go with 7.5/10. Their best since Elegy.

hibernal_dream said:
Finally heard this. First, the most notable thing is song length. Each song is 2-3 minutes and it helps a lot. The songs are direct and to the point with choruses usually repeating only once. Second, the music has a folkier feel and combined with the new singer's deeper voice seems to work well. Third, no silly reggae sounding 'ballads' as on the last 2 or 3 albums.

I'd go with 7.5/10. Their best since Elegy.

2-3 minutes is a good thing? Not in my book anyways. The longer the better.

I still haven't heard this, and I'm interested in making my own opinion of the new guy's voice. He seems like basically a Death Metal vocalist.

Walter_Langkowski said:
2-3 minutes is a good thing? Not in my book anyways. The longer the better.

Why? The longer tracks on the recent Amorphis albums did tend to meander, with too much repetition and little direction. Just think of the album as a 40 minute track split into several parts, there's no difference except the filler (repetition) has been removed.