Amorphis - Eclipse

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Amorphis – Eclipse
Nuclear Blast Records – NB1596-2 – February 10th, 2006; March 21st, 2006 (USA)
By Jason Jordan

eclipse.jpg

The last Amorphis album actually worth listening to was 1999’s Tuonela, and some would even argue that these Finns haven’t released anything worthwhile since Elegy in 1996. In other words, Am Universum and Far from the Sun showed a great deal of deviation from the band’s previous works, leaving me disappointed as I thought yet another quality group had sputtered one too many times and were due to break down at any given minute. Though I do miss Pasi Koskinen’s (Ajattara) trademark growls and clean voice, the new kid Tomi Joutsen (Sinisthra) does a great job here. Eclipse is – in short – a triumphant return to form for a troupe that I’d lost hope in.

Before their latest dropped, most of the debate centered on whether Joutsen would be able to ascend the vocal throne and rule with ease. Thankfully, his multi-faceted approach is commendable insomuch as his polished singing is emotive and fits the music perfectly, while his growls – though not ubiquitous – are magnificent as well. From “Two Moons,” it’s obvious that the keyboards are out in full regiment this time around, reminding me of Elegy more than any other Amorphis record. Needless to say, the songs on Eclipse are catchy as hell, and perhaps the benchmark of this particular album is none other than “House of Sleep,” which is a brilliant take on melodic metal. The edgy riffs, piano/synthesizer injections, and Joutsen’s masterful techniques push “House of Sleep” to not only exemplary status, but far beyond. There are still lighter, airier numbers and sections in place, though, as the beginning of “Leaves Scar,” “Under a Soil and Black Stone,” and “The Smoke” will attest. Nevertheless, I find myself enjoying the harder aspects of this Finnish outfit, seen in the determined “Born from Fire,” the spiraling beast-like “Perkele (The God of Fire),” and the Irish-influenced “Brother Moon.” A tune such as “Empty Opening” brings the sky to mind instantaneously due to the expansive keyboards and lyrics, whereas the others conjure much different settings.

All in all, I won’t pretend I know where Amorphis mustered such inspiration for a powerful comeback, if you will, but I do know that Eclipse is something that all kinds of fans (past and present alike) will adore. Overall, these ten songs form a conglomeration of exceptional music – undoubtedly the product of experience and just plain know-how. I sincerely believe this is one of the best efforts we’ll see in 2006, and I’m overjoyed to have these guys making music that I can fully enjoy. It’s been a while, but the prodigal son has evidently returned.

9/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Amorphis Website
Official Nuclear Blast Records Website

I really do hate to bump this review, honestly, but I can't stress how essential this album is to fans of...music! This is so fucking good, it is one of the few albums I've been listening to consistently since it's release. Seriously, if you haven't bought this yet, fucking go!

Honestly, this album is so fucking good its right up there in the top releases of the year for me. I couldn't believe how incredibly catchy and dynamic these songs were compared to the last few albums. Tomi's vocals are so damn good too. His transition from clean to growl is almost flawless.

This is a damn good album. I found it interesting to note that this album was inspired by a story. It is really no wonder that the visuals that the music inspires are so deep.