circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Amorphis – Far from the Sun
Nuclear Blast Records – September 14th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

amorphis.jpg

The good news is that Far from the Sun puts 2001’s Am Universum to shame; the bad news is that Amorphis’ most recent release doesn’t outshine much else of their catalogue.

This album starts off with two highly energized songs, in “Day of Your Beliefs” and “Planetary Misfortune.” The former outing is unmistakably Amorphis due to its lofty synthesizer/organ interjections and Koskinen’s trademark vocalizations. Don’t be led astray because of its average pace. It is most assuredly one of the better songs in the band’s repertoire. “Planetary Misfortune” serves to heighten the enjoyment as whimsical melodies and a relatively fast pace riddle the track. “Evil Inside” makes me think that the sextet have been listening to ‘70’s psychedelic acts, as does “Ethereal Solitude.” In any case, the performers retain the sound that’s been ever-present [in their music] since the mid-nineties. The sonics are familiar, along with the traditional Amorphis melodies. In other words, the band never shies away from comfortableness. And maybe that’s their greatest downfall.

If you’re seeking top-notch doom/death metal, look no further than Tales from the Thousand Lakes. If you’re searching for brilliant folkish metal (devoid of death vocals), look no further than Elegy. And, if you’re looking for a hybrid of both, Tuonela should satisfy you. Far from the Sun, however, probably won’t find its way into your CD collection. The band have such an extensive discography that their lesser compelling works will fall by the wayside. This output seems doomed to that said fate.

7/10

Official Amorphis website
Official Nuclear Blast Records website

"If you’re searching for brilliant folkish metal (devoid of death vocals), look no further than Elegy."

Eh have you ever listened to Elegy? Cause there are tons of death vocals on that album. It doesn't really matter to me but you should really get your facts straight before you go on ignorantly about an album that you probably have never listened to.
The last time I looked at a dictionary devoid mean't to be without.

Yeah, I remembered that soon after I posted the review. Oops. :erk: I own the entire discography of Amorphis, but it's been a while since I've listened to anything except Far from the Sun.