Amorphis interviews

Soundi just published a new interview with Tomi J, here's what he says about the new album:

[On the title]
Sure, we also toyed around with other alternatives, but Circle won in the end. The name is concise and easy to understand. The idea sprang from the discussions with Pekka Kainulainen. The concept of the circle was strongly in Pekka's mind when he wrote the lyrics.

[On the ongoing collaboration with Kainulainen]
The story of the album could be outlined as an anti-hero's tale of growth. It might also be viewed as a person's spiritual healing process or the completion of a circle. "Everything is inside the human being", as Pekka said. The album does not tell the tale in chronological order; for the most part, the sequence is dictated by musical dramaturgy. When the music and the lyrics are created by different people independent of each other, a strictly chronological approach is almost impossible. On the other hand, it's never been our goal to begin with.The most important is for music and text to be on the same wavelength, spiritually. The music and the lyrics are in sync with each other.

[On working with Tägtgren for a change]
Before we set out, the "Baggy-Eyed Man" threatened to make us cry. But that didn't happen. He spent an intense month in Finland and lived in Kallio, Helsinki for almost the whole time. The bags under his eyes at least didn't diminish during that time, let's put it that way. A fine guy, Peter is, in every way. He's tough when it comes to ensuring hard work and constant focus. Working with us is not necessarily easy, since Amorphis has been used to being "its own producer", and of course there was a bit of arguing here and there - but fortunately, all of it on rational terms.
Peter's signature is clearly recognizable on the album for sure. We went for a fresh wind and a new perspective on what we are doing. Perhaps this album is a good balance of Abba and Hypocrisy. Yeah, there are growls from deep down below and on the other hand some rather tender moments. Melody and melancholy are abounding, of course. With Peter's help, at least we achieved a more condensed expression. In terms of sound, Peter also had a clear vision from the start. The guitar parts will certainly be the best proof of this.

amo_studio_2_620.jpg

amo_studio_1_600.jpg

Interview & photos: Timo Isoaho

Peter trying to "get some of the old shit on the album" sounds pretty promising, I must say :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That combined with "encouragement to more extreme sound world" & "low bass-ed, guitar-oriented and shit load of varieties on vocals" sounds very promising. :headbang:

So far I'm happy with everything that they have said about this album's story and Tätgren's influence. This is either going to be another special release or a massive tease. Trying to keep my expectations down for now until they begin leaking more snippets.

There is an article in Soundi, dealing about merchandise, band shirts and others stuff. E. Holopainen talks about he´s thought about merchandise and tells for example that he´s first band shirt was Iron Maiden.

What is interesting, is that Holopainen also says that "Around this new album we have discussed about maybe we could launch some new foodstuff. I can't now say what it would be, but I can convince that it will not be bottle of wine. We thought some distinctive solution."

And now good quess'!! What would it be? What do you want it to be? (if it is coming...)

My first thoughts were some cheese (finer cheese, not cheap edam), some finnish sausage (grillimakkara, as we say), some ecological vegestuff or beer.

Food stuff? What a sell-out band :p
Well my first thought was Karelian pies, haha! But seriously, I think it would be something to drink. I actually remember one interview where they were asked what kind of drink they would launch (because many bands already have launched their own wine) and Esa joked that their stuff would be probably "Amorphis-moonshine". :D Personally I'd prefer cream liqueur, but when it comes to more "Finnish stuff", some berry liqueur would be more fitting (like those Lapponia-liqueurs; the blueberry one is good stuff for blueberry shots), for example. But anyway - I definitely wouldn't mind beer, that's sure! ;)

I think some kind of alcohol it will be, but it´s so worn out thing it would be nice to do something new.
But alcohol with a finnish twist is easy to make, transport and sell.

I never really liked the idea of food being sold as merchandise. I think it's quite dumb, actually. Tasteless.
I'm all okay with shirts, patches, and other clothing, or posters or whatever, but food? Seriously?

I mean, I'd appreciate something special. Something limited perhaps. Original. Something with an stamp "This is 100% Amorphis genuine, this is not a rip-off idea dozens of other people have done before".

On the other hand, anything that isn't very commercially viable and comes in limited editions of sorts will be expensive, but eh, I think it's better to make something truly unique which only few dedicated folks would like to buy and will buy, than to make "insertbandname"-Cola or whatever.