Amorphis - The Beginning of Times

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Upon second listen of yet another great album by Amorphis. I feel extremely compelled to say two things:

1 - Amorphis raises their winning streak to 4 albums in a row.

2 - I think it's definitely time to bring them back. How about a slot on Thursday of next year?

Who's picking this up?

Upon second listen of yet another great album by Amorphis. I feel extremely compelled to say two things:

2 - I think it's definitely time to bring them back. How about a slot on Thursday of next year?

Who's picking this up?

Any new Amorphis is a blind buy for me. And I don't think they've had a truly bad album yet. I've loved everything since Elegy at least.

And yes, it would be good to have them back.

Not surprised. One of the most consistent bands out there. Despite me trying to save moolah on discs, this will be a definite first day buy for me.

I was listening to Silent Waters while working out at the gym earlier today and got to thinking that I've never heard that album all the way though. I was thinking at just friggan awesome that album actually is!

So to hear they are coming out with a new one is pretty damn exciting. I hope they can put out something as awesome as Silent Waters again (granted, SkyForger is pretty sweet as well).

I do have a few of their earlier albums, but just did not like them as much as the later stuff (Eclipse and onwards).

Plus, you gotta admit, they put on one friggan HELL of a show at ProgPower a couple of years ago!

I think another big reason why a return to the PPUSA stage would be important: they released another album recently that is just as good as their newer original output: Magic and Mayhem, the collection of old songs rerecorded with the current lineup is amazing! So all of their music is just as relevant now as it ever was.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRU7llKh5qE&feature=related[/ame]

Magic and Mayhem really surprised me. I still wish they had left the Elegy material alone (that album is one of my all-time favorites), but they did an amazing job with the older songs. "Light My Fire" was a mistake though, just as it was the first time around.

Magic and Mayhem really surprised me. I still wish they had left the Elegy material alone (that album is one of my all-time favorites), but they did an amazing job with the older songs. "Light My Fire" was a mistake though, just as it was the first time around.

I also really enjoyed Magic and Mayhem. It's great to see the band re-doing old classics - I was particularly happy with On Rich and Poor.... always wanted to hear how Tomi sounded singing that in studio. Result was great as anticipated.

I also really enjoyed Magic and Mayhem. It's great to see the band re-doing old classics - I was particularly happy with On Rich and Poor.... always wanted to hear how Tomi sounded singing that in studio. Result was great as anticipated.

I'm always hesitant on albums like this where bands re-do old songs. Considering how a couple people are saying how good it is, I may have to pick that up.

Who's picking this up?

Arg... want to listen to this new record so bad! Why must it take so long! Looks like amazon pre-order comes out June 7, or I can pay several times the price to get it a week earlier...

Gotta go look on youtube to see if there are any other new tracks besides You I Need...

I'm always hesitant on albums like this where bands re-do old songs. Considering how a couple people are saying how good it is, I may have to pick that up.

See I like it when they re-do it with a new singer... such as what Amorphis did. It's not like they re-did the songs entirely, as in that Helloween disc last year. It really came out good.

Love this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iced Earth did it with great success way back when Matt Barlow was still a newbie with Days of Purgatory. Skyclad also did it with their new singer after Martin left. I really dig the idea of a studio recording where your new singer does your classic material.

Is this available for pay-download anywhere yet? iTunes doesn't have it. As much as I like having a physical product, I've gotten tired of waiting for shipment and don't feel like paying shipping fees. Would rather have the quick mp3 dl, but can't find it.

Is this available for pay-download anywhere yet? iTunes doesn't have it. As much as I like having a physical product, I've gotten tired of waiting for shipment and don't feel like paying shipping fees. Would rather have the quick mp3 dl, but can't find it.

I don't think it has been released yet - even if digital format.

I will also buy this as soon as I find the digi for pre-order.

As far as M&M, I've been a fan of Amorphis since 1000 Lakes and went into this CD with some trepidation. The songs were well done - but I prefer the original versions.