Amp modding question

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, right now my Krank Rev Jr Pro has an always-on FX loop, with a volume boost (they call it an FX boost, it's a tube-driven loop) that can be toggled with the footswitch; how feasible would it be for a good amp tech to rig the amp so one button on the footswitch both toggled the boost on/off but also enabled/bypassed the FX loop? This would be incredibly useful for me in a live setting, being able to leave a delay pedal (and maybe compressor) always on in the loop, and toggle the loop (and boost) with one press of the footswitch

Thanks!

I'd would think it's do-able but not necessarily easy or worth the hassle. Why not get a GCX switcher and ground control pedal board? You can use that to bypass whatever effects you want in the loop. You can have the midi pedal board control the GCX and switch in or out multiple effects with the tap of a single button.

p_gcx_lg.jpg

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

Just cover the switches with a joining piece of hard plastic or something so the boost and fx loop come on as one. Cheapest most ghetto solution.

While I'm unfamiliar with the guts of this specific amp, I assure you that this is doable, in general, assuming there is already some sort of switching circuit in the amp. This is only problematic when the amp doesn't already have switching inside, or if the designers are running the transformer stupidly close to the maximum ratings

Sorry, should've clarified - from the factory, the FX loop can't be bypassed (which is all I want), either by the footswitch or on the amp (that's what I meant by always-on FX loop) - and actually, I just looked and realized that the FX [volume] boost can't be toggled by the footswitch, though it can be on the amp

Ah. In that case it's a bit trickier, I thought you meant that the FX loop couldn't be bypassed but the boost could be. Still doable but might be better to just get a loop pedal