amp setting

daulton

Jun 25, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a Marshall MG100. On the overdrive channel at which o clock should I set the Gain, Bass, Middle and Treble and Contour to get Iron Maidens Disotortion sound? On the clean channel at which o clock should I set the Gain, Bass, Middle and Treble to get Iron maidens Clean tone?

Without knowing what settings they use it's hard to say, I like guitarists that set the bass and treble at around 2 oclock and the midrange around 10 oclock, it'll give you a good crunchy metal tone. As far as maiden I don't know.

It is not that simple, I imagine IM would also use effects not just amps.

Many guitarists like to have the bass and treble high and mid range low (scooping the mids) it gives a great sound on its own, great for playing in your bedroom but when you play with a band the bass and bass drums dominate the low frequencies and the cymbals dominate the high frequencies and if you have low mids your sound will disappear in the mix.

The guitar is a mid range instrument so you really need to boost your mids if you want to be heard when playing with a band.

Another tip, when you play most venues you don't need 100W amps on full volume, set your gains but keep your volumes quite low and let the sound guy/girl bring your volume up with the PA. Remember your volume can be raised but if your amp is too loud the sound person can't bring the volume down resulting in a poor mix if the vocalists, etc. can't be heard over your amp.

When Megadeth played here they had a stack of amps on stage set to low for atmosphere but the guitar sound most of the audience heard was coming from behind the row of stacks. The PA mic was set in front of the speaker of a 25W amp.

s