Amps, pre-amps, cabs, stomp-boxes... What?

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hey! I've been playing guitar for almost two years now, but I've just been using a new Maverick X-1 guitar with a crappy 40-watt training amp (Kustom). I'm looking to buy a new amp and an FX pedal (specifically a POD multi-effects pedal) but I keep hearing about things called pre-amps, stomp-boxes and cabs. What the hell are these things? Will I need them if I get into a band (me and a friend are thinking of forming one)? What do they do? And more importantly, how much do they cost?
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated - please excuse my 'orrible ignorance!

well... a stomp box is just another name for effects pedals or footswitches.

Cab is your speaker cabinet, and pre-amp is a bit complex for me to go into.

IMO - a decent 2x12 combo (that is, an ampflier with 2 12 inch speakers built in) is all you need to play guitar in a rock or metal band. I've had 1/2 stacks (amp + 4x12 speakers) and played with guys who had full stacks (amp + 8x12 speakers) and unless you are planning on playing open air stadium gigs, it's just overkill.

Big gear looks cool on stage and all, but think about how you've gotta pack all that shit up and carry it up stairs and into your car after gigs and band practice. It's not fun.

Personally I'm not into effects pedals, but amps that have a really good distortion sound built in can be a bit expensive. If you don't mind spending big money, I'd say check out a mesa boogie dual rectifier, which is what I play. I can't imagine a better sounding amp. If you're into effects though, perhaps check out a Line 6 Flextone, which has all sorts of crazy shit built in. I tried one of these out and was blown away, if I didn't already have the Mesa I'd probably buy one of these.

If you don't want to fork out the big bucks then I'd suggest having a look at the Peavey Trans-Tube series. I think they're good value for money and are pretty decent sounding. Also you might find some old Crate gear at a pawn shop or something - their Stealth amps are pretty good.

I dunno man, I'm an amp and 4x12 man myself.

These give you more scope and range. You don't need to be in a huge hall to notice the difference!

I used to play with a Peavey 2x12 combo and every time I played with a band who had stacks they blew my sound away!! I got the stack and it's just so much fuller. I find the combos are too uni-directional for a big metal sound.

hmmm.. well, personally I found that my 1/2 stack was just too friggen LOUD, as well as being a pain in the arse to lug around.

I guess I wasn't taking into account the possibility of playing with another guitarist who has a huge loud amp like that, cos yeah, you'll definately struggle to be heard over that.

In my last band, we actually had the reputation of being the quietest band at the rehearsal studios. I think that's a good thing. Playing extremely loud, it's hard to hear anything with any sort of clarity, but when you turn down a little bit you can hear everything, and your band will improve because of it.

So, if you're going to be the only guitarist in the band (like me) then a 2x12 will be ok... but if you're playing with a really loud band with 2 guitarists... that's something else.

Also I forgot to take into account that tube amps are louder than solid state amps, so that could make a big difference. My Mesa combo is plenty loud another, put maybe a solid state version wouldn't cut it.

hmmm.. well, personally I found that my 1/2 stack was just too friggen LOUD, as well as being a pain in the arse to lug around.

OUCH I know about that. I have the unenviable reputation of owning the heaviest gear in the known musical world! :) My combo, tube amp head and cab are all abnormally heavy. Not because I'm a weed :( but it's univerally agreed ;) .

I actually meant the guitarists in other bands. I am a lone guitarist like yourself (have to do all the work) but it's plain embarassing when the next band on after you in a gig have an immediately noticeable sound advantage over you in terms of range and volume! I had to act, and fast!!!