Advice on amps... Heads, Rack Systems, Cabs. etc...

Jul 19, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I recently bought a Washburn DimeSt2, and already own a Strat. I keep a used Marshall ATV50 (50 watt solid state combo) at the drummers house, since its a pain in the ass to carry, and not that great, and at my house I use a Metal Master distortion pedal through a small Peavy 15 watt practice amp.

The DimeSt2 is a nice guitar. My problem now is, I have this shredding machine of an axe, but my tone sucks ass. I put $200 down on this guitar, and over the next three months im going to pay off roughly $125 per month. I make about $300 a month, so right now im starting to think about saving for a new amp. My local guitar store has a used Randall Warhead (combo) for about $650 (usually about $1400 new) and a Peavy XXX halfstack for about $1300. Both of these amps look pretty nice, but I havent tried either of them out to nearly their full potential, since I've never really been in there at the right time to crank them all the way up. And of course, tube amps sound best when they're cranked all the way.

However, I probably wouldnt be able to crank these amps all the way often, since I play mostly at home. My band doesnt practice too often (once or twice a week) and we dont play gigs or anything, so I'm wondering if either of those amps are sensible.

I dont really know anything about rack systems, except that they're expensive and can be pretty damn nice. I play mostly thrash, and I really like that Megadeth sorta tone with a good amount of mids. Tone is pretty important to me, but since I'm 14, even with my job, I have limited funds.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on what amps to check out, how to build a good rack mount system, or tell me how a rack system works... (how does volume affect sound, will it sound fake because I'm not using tubes, will I be able to get much more diverse sounds with a rack EQ, etc..)

The Warhead isn't tube, only the XXX is.

IMHO opinion there is only two major reasons for building a rack rig. The first one is playing stereo or using multiple preamps. If you can get all the tones you want from an amp head and don't want stereo effects, there's no reason to go rack. Plus the dynamics are usually different with an amp head vs a preamp-poweramp rig.

A thing to consider is that stereo effects are kind of hard to translate to the audience, even if your rig is double miked. Having said that, the sheer listening pleasure for the guitarist is worth it, at least for me.

About your last questions... Regarding tube amps, volume makes a huge difference. A tube amp really needs to be cranked to get the best tone possible. At low volumes they sound really muffled and undefined. An attenuator takes care of most of that, and can be really useful in reducing stage volume while keeping your tone more or less intact. A rack EQ is just another tool to shape your sound, and yes, it will get you some different and cool tones, which you might or might not like.

You nedd to try some stuff out, and make your own mind. This is just my point of view on this subject.

XXX for $1300 get that, then sell it for 1600, it can be done. racks are tricky, I run a rack, i love it, but i also want a head for simplicity. Probably a XXX or a JCM800 2203, my cab is a 1960 AV(intage 30's), so i get more mid punch then with the regular 1960 A's. if you play with a lot of effects, go rack, if not, go head.

Yeah I dont use effects at all.

So I probably just wanna try out a whole buncha halfstacks? Im wondering if you have any recomendations though. Marshalls come well recomended, but I've also heard the new ones you pay really more for the name than the quality. Of course the vintage ones are the shit, when you crank em and they start breaking up....

Crate I have been advised to stay away from. The whole Idea of a $400 half stack is pretty sketchy.

Mesas are of course, supposed to be the best amps in the world, but money is an issue. It might be possible though, if theyre REALLY that good that I could save up $2000 or so and buy a used one... or get a mesa head through a less expensive cab?

Bassically I'm just asking for recomendations for some halfstacks / heads with nice tone, good range, etc.

Thanks

RideForVengance said:
Yeah I dont use effects at all.

So I probably just wanna try out a whole buncha halfstacks? Im wondering if you have any recomendations though. Marshalls come well recomended, but I've also heard the new ones you pay really more for the name than the quality. Of course the vintage ones are the shit, when you crank em and they start breaking up....
The ones you could use for metal are the JCM-800 and a Mode four, but DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET THE MODE FOUR CABINET.

RideForVengance said:
Crate I have been advised to stay away from. The whole Idea of a $400 half stack is pretty sketchy.
crate makes the blue voodoo, which is okay, i guess, but if you want a good tone you're going to want something better

RideForVengance said:
Mesas are of course, supposed to be the best amps in the world, but money is an issue. It might be possible though, if theyre REALLY that good that I could save up $2000 or so and buy a used one... or get a mesa head through a less expensive cab?
:lol: Mesa's are NOT the best in the world, look at Engl, Bogner, Peavey Tube stuff, VHT, and Rockeforte. THOSE are some of the best amps in the world.

RideForVengance said:
Bassically I'm just asking for recomendations for some halfstacks / heads with nice tone, good range, etc.
Check out
Peavey - 5150 II, XXX, and the new JSX (Joe Satch sig amp)
Engl - Powerball, Savage SE, and Fireball
Bogner - Uberschall and XCT are the metal choices
Mesa - if you do go mesa, go rack with the triaxis and the 2:100
VHT - Pittbull series, and they make, by far, the BEST power amps in the world

"REALATIVELY" is the important word ;)

though it seems ENGLs are more expensive in the US (I paid 1500€ for my Powerball, I live in germany)

if you want something cheaper (but without some of the functions of the Powerball) you can get the Fireball (its pretty much a "half Powerball"). I think all Savage modells should be great metal-amps, too (not only the SE). but the Savages are pretty expensive (with a lot of functions though)

the Sovereign should be cool, too (I had a Sovereign50 and it sounded pretty damn good, though I like my Powerball much better), but thats a combo, not a halfstack.

I've also heard very good things about the Blackmore Signature top, which is also a bit cheaper than a Powerball for example