Solid State and Tube power amps.

greers7j

New Metal Member
Jan 20, 2009
Stirling, Scotland
Hi folks.

I previously opened a thread regarding a rack EQ (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/musicians-discussion/462649-rack-eq-current-guitar-setup.html) and the suggestion of gettin a power amp came into the conversation so i thought i'd open a new thread to deal with the issue.

I live in the UK and i can only really buy online due to the location of where i stay. What i would like to know is if anyone has any recommendations of any models of Solid State and Tube/Valve Power amps that they know about.

I currently have a PODX3 Live into a Marshall MG100HDFX (used as power amp) and a Marshall 1960BV cab playing mostly metal but with ocational lighter stuff such as Andy Timmons in a bedroom environment. Personally i'd like a solid state amp mainly for the hassle free option and not to worry about valves etc but any information on both would be greatful.

Please dont get into the usual "Tube vs Solid State" bashing arguments. Informative information would be prefered as i only with to know what models people would recommend, whether it be solid state or valve, rather than a big argument over what is better.

Regards
Jason

Thanks again Tom.

That is absolutely perfect. Exactly what i've looking for and a great price for it also.

Just pray that there are dealers in the UK that have it in stock. :D

Anyone got any more recommendations on any good Valve/Tube power amps that they have used?

I use two, 212R Fender Frontmans and I'm in love with them. In fact, I used to practice with one of the Fenders while our rhythm guitarist had a Marshall half-stack (all tube) and there was absolutely no over-powering whatsoever. In fact, the loudest I ever turned it up to was 4 but at that point, we had to mic the drums. I can also get extreme lows with them as well - which I like. Brand new, I think they're $350.

If you're using a POD for your tone, SS vs. Tube won't make any difference. It's when you're trying to use the amp itself to create distortion, you'd want a tube amp. However, if you just want super-clean amplification of the tones your POD creates, Solid State is likely the ticket.

As for which? I've heard people really like the Mesa Boogie line of power amps.

If you're using a POD for your tone, SS vs. Tube won't make any difference. It's when you're trying to use the amp itself to create distortion, you'd want a tube amp. However, if you just want super-clean amplification of the tones your POD creates, Solid State is likely the ticket.

Not true. A tube power amp can really give some life and warmth to a digital amp modeler like a POD. You do have to be able to turn it up enough to get a little juice out of it, though. I use both with my POD X3 Live (tubes for gigs and SS for pretty much everything else), and the tubes sound a lot better.

...Unless you're just talking about playing at really low volumes where tubes are still "super-clean" and don't add anything to the sound, in which case I agree that solid state is probably the better bet.

Not true. A tube power amp can really give some life and warmth to a digital amp modeler like a POD. You do have to be able to turn it up enough to get a little juice out of it, though. I use both with my POD X3 Live (tubes for gigs and SS for pretty much everything else), and the tubes sound a lot better.

...Unless you're just talking about playing at really low volumes where tubes are still "super-clean" and don't add anything to the sound, in which case I agree that solid state is probably the better bet.

A fair point! Personally, I'd never play with a pod anyway, but to each his/her own :)

I personally have found that solid state works pretty well (for the tone I like) for heavier stuff and specifically with staccato picking like in thrash style music. In fact, I prefer SS for that.
Where the tube amp shines is when you don't want full on distortion. The tube overdrive sounds absolutely awesome on type chords using more than two notes especially open type chords. For example, AC/DC gets their monster guitar sound by using a lot of open chords with valve amps.
Tube amps also give you the "warmth" that hasn't really been perfected with electronics quite yet on solos as well. If you are a big shredder who is going to play many notes in a small amount of time, I don't think the tubes are very advantageous, but anything you are going to put effort into putting a good deal of emotics into a few notes, there again, you can't beat the tube sound. I suppose all in all, I prefer tubes for the most part, but everyone has their own opinion.

Bryant