Krank Amps

Is anyone familiar with these amps? I noticed that Nevermore uses them, and I love the sound that Jeff Loomis gets. I've been using solid state amps for a while, so I want to try to get a feel for what tube amps sound like, and the Kranks caught my attention. My friend suggested I get a Krankenstein or the Krank Revolution, but I want to know if its the worth the $3,000 price tag.

Kranks only go for $1700-1800 new.

Used they go for something rediculous, $1200 or $1000. They have practically no resale value.

They're very overpriced for what they are... Splawn or ENGL do the same tonal ideas but way better.

If you want to get a REAL good tube amp and only need one channel... get a VHT Deliverance 60 and a boost pedal.

An amp that has really impressed me lately is the (don't laugh) Ibanez Thermion TN-120. It's an all tube Amp (and will probably run you about $800 less than the Krank amp). I couldn't believe just how fucking good this amp sounded when I plugged into it at the local guitar boutique. If I could afford it I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Here's the link to the head and speccs

Ibanez :. Amplifiers :: Thermion :: TN120

If the Kranks have the sound you're after they are very much worth checknig out. The only problem with Jeff, is that when he plugs into any amp, he sounds great. When I saw NM play live he was using a Creat amp from one of the support bands, and it still sounded like his tone.
The only thing to note about Kranks that i've hears is that it's a bit difficult to dial the settings in, they have a very broad spectrum of tones, apparently.

I'm definetly considering getting an ENGL. I finally have the money for a great amp (been saving up for 3 years), so I want to get the best I can get. I really like the sound of the ENGL, and it has a lot of good reviews. I just which I could try it out though..

Are you talking about his Live tone or his Tone on the Albums.

If its the Albums its not Krank. Its a 1994 Mesa Dual Recto with a Marshall 1960B Cabinet. TGE had SOME Krank mixed in with the Mesa tone but its all Dual Recto with a Tube Screamer in Front.

Personally i think the KRanks sound like ass. Sound like someone scarping a pick on a cheese grater WAYY WAYY WAYY too much Attack and not enough Balls. Almost sounds Solid State thats why i think dime loved em.

Honestly get a Mesa or a 5150. They are the amps for metal. Nothing else come close. If your from the other side of the pond then Check out Framus or Engl.