Krank Revolution One or Krankenstein

UlfK

Thrash member
May 1, 2006
Berlin
I consider getting a Krank head as replacement/addition for my 5150 mkI. Has anyone really compared a Krank Revolution One with a Krankenstein? These amps are not easily available in Germany, so checking them out is a hard time.

What sound would I be looking for? The 5150 really delivers: it is loud and very brutal. I never turn up the gain past 5, using Hi Output pickups (EMG 81s, Invader, Mega Drive).
A better amp should be even more tight and maybe offer more transparency. Something which I think the Kranks could offer beside a more flexible EQ and switchable Solo Volumes.
However, which head to chose? Any recommendations are welcome.

I'd like to compare them myself. A friend of mine (who happens to be a master at getting great guitar tones) has both, and prefers the Krankenstein. He said the high end is more controlled, and it's voiced differently from the Revolution. The Krankenstein is definitely more versatile for playing live, etc. than the Revolution as far as channels and footswitching are concerned. So if you're going to be gigging with it I'd recommend the Krankenstein.

Interesting and good to know. I am talking about the HiGain channel only, of course. At last two tradeshows a Krank guy recommmend to go for the Rev One since it is more "brutal" and the Krankenstein more "Metal". Hard to translate these words -that is why I posted here. I need to get opinions. No Krank amps in Germanys biggest city. :-(
Possibly, we have someone else that has tested both. Maybe Andy himself?

UlfK said:
Interesting and good to know. I am talking about the HiGain channel only, of course. At last two tradeshows a Krank guy recommmend to go for the Rev One since it is more "brutal" and the Krankenstein more "Metal". Hard to translate these words -that is why I posted here. I need to get opinions. No Krank amps in Germanys biggest city. :-(
Possibly, we have someone else that has tested both. Maybe Andy himself?

I have demo'd both alot and came home with the Revolution 1. I'll try to use different terms so you can get an understanding on how I feel about the 2.

The Krankenstien is a heavier harder Metal amp. It's gain is alot stronger and to me seemed alittle to much. You can back it off and dial in the amp anyway you want but I found myself liking the revolution 1 for it's more refined sounding gain channel. The gain or drive seemed tighter. More focused. Less fuzzy and more crunchy. Without hearing them both, it's hard to explain the differences. The Revolution 1's clean channel is much better for me. I like more of a Fender type clean and the Revolution 1 provided me with enough cleans that sadified my desire. The Kranenstien had just a tad bit of dirt on it when pushed. It's nice if your into that but I like my cleans perfect. The Rev 1 is the best Hi gain clean channel I have played. It was a huge selling point for me.
You gotta sit and play them. I can't tell you which one would be right for you. Alot of guys perfer the Krankenstien, I perfer the Revolution 1. I can get crazy heavy tone with nothing in front of it. I like that alot.

Good luck man

Dan

I now have news that I'd like to share with you. I picked up a Krankenstein and carried it to the rehearsal space. Here's my first impression.

The amp itself sounds extremly crisp and tight at moderate volumes. Cool. However, turning the volume up to a high level - my Krankenstein is not that tight anymore. It's either the clipping of the power section or the speaker (see below).

I also have a 5150 here and my bandmate uses a 5150, too. Serious answer: the 5150 cuts through, the Krankenstein doesn't in comparision (with the sound I dialled in). However, both amps make a fine combination.

Dmantis says, he prefered the Revolution 1: "Less fuzzy and more crunchy." I haven't heard the Rev One, but I can agree that the Gain Stage of the Krankenstein has a tendency to fuzz and sizzle. I would prefer a cleaner distortion. The 5150 has this type of distortion (but I wanted another crisper amp). Turning the Gain past 2 o'clock (with EMG 81) result in a ringing of the tubes when playing mutes.

I guess, Cabinets also play a significant role. So far, I tested the Krankenstein with my stack: a 4x12 Peavey 5150 (I don't like it very much) and a 2x12 Cabinet with Reflex Port with Celestion G100s.