Rhythm: Krank or 5150!?

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
So I'm going to begin tracking the guitars for 4 new songs for my band tomorrow (www.myspace.com/7horns7eyes), and I have my 5150 and Krank Revolution to choose from. (The amp I don't choose will be for lead sounds). On the one song on our Myspace, I didn't have the Krank yet so we used the 5150, and to this day I still feel REALLY good about what I can get out of the 5150. The 5150 has a slightly smoother sounding tone than the Krank but it's still incredibly thick, and I love that. I guess I'm really going for some kind of All That Remains/Killswitch Engage tone, and I feel like the 5150 may be the better choice for that. Any opinions? On the other hand, I really do love the Stabbing the Drama / Doomsday Machine / Shadows are Security / Constitution of Treason rhythm sound, which are Kranks. I'm thinking that I may just try miking up the Krank first to see what I can get, and who knows, I might love that too.
Haha, what a stupid dilemma to be having, huh?

Are you in a situation where you can still use the Krank but also split the signal and record a clean signal as well so that leaves you the flexibility to reamp the 5150 later on and then have yourself a shootout between the two?

Aaron Smith said:
So I'm going to begin tracking the guitars for 4 new songs for my band tomorrow (www.myspace.com/7horns7eyes), and I have my 5150 and Krank Revolution to choose from. (The amp I don't choose will be for lead sounds). On the one song on our Myspace, I didn't have the Krank yet so we used the 5150, and to this day I still feel REALLY good about what I can get out of the 5150. The 5150 has a slightly smoother sounding tone than the Krank but it's still incredibly thick, and I love that. I guess I'm really going for some kind of All That Remains/Killswitch Engage tone, and I feel like the 5150 may be the better choice for that. Any opinions? On the other hand, I really do love the Stabbing the Drama / Doomsday Machine / Shadows are Security / Constitution of Treason rhythm sound, which are Kranks. I'm thinking that I may just try miking up the Krank first to see what I can get, and who knows, I might love that too.
Haha, what a stupid dilemma to be having, huh?

Just to clear things up, Doomsday isn't just krank.

hey I would like to hear an A/B clip... maybe you can create a short while deciding!
From what I heard about the krank I would maybe use the krank for a bit more scooped sound and 5150 wit a bit more mids and mix both amps ...

Thanks for the input guys. I spent some time this afternoon messing with both amps, and I can't quite get the Krank to sound like I want, as much as I can get the 5150 to. So...I'm going to record the 5150 tomorrow, but also record the DI signal, and then when I finally get my hands on a reamp box, see if I can make a ridiculously heavy sounding blend!:headbang:

if possible, i'd try both

but if i could only choose one...it'd be the 5150 for me, using the lead and rhtyhm channels with different eq settings

I'd use the 5150 for your main tone, and reamp with the Krank when you can spend time tweaking the settings