something about amps again ;)

Floyd

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
today I went to a music-shop to try out some amps, because I'm searching something I can use on stage and (if possible) at home, too.
First I tried the Marshall JCM900 which didn't seem to be what I'm searching for (nice, but it just didn't give me enough distortion;) )
The next thing the guy showed me was the Marshall 6101LM Aniversery Series which I found very good (though maybe a BIT to expensive with its 2200Euros if I remember right.....) lots of variation with 3 channels, nice sound....
My problem was especially when I played palm-muted stuff (which I use pretty often) it just sounded too muddy in my opinion. The guy asked me if I had a transistor-amp myself and when I told him that my own amp is a transistor-amp he told my that this sound is typical for tube-amps. Is this right? if yes: how do all those metal-guitarists get their razor-sharp sounds using tube-amps????
Talking about sharp sounds my Marshall G30RCD (transistor) seems to sound much better than the ones I tried there.
Or is there some secret behind that? some effect-pedal or anything?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

I can't really answer your question based on experience, but I know Zakk Wylde, for example, used JCM 800 heads - but still used a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal.

Check out http://www.guitargeek.com

It shows alot of guitarists setups there. Maybe you can find someone who's sound you're going for and see what they're using.

Don't overlook the importance of pickups in this as well. Ever since I started using EMG's for instance, I've always been able to get all the distortion I want out of a Marshall (ok, I've mostly played valvestates and JCM900's), while with my older pickups, it would stop at an annoying 'hard rock' type of sound.

I've used to use a distortion box between guitar and amp as well, but mostly to boost volume and apply a bit of EQ for the solos.

So take a look at what pickups the big guys are using. If you're using some crappy duncan knockoff that came with your guitar, it's possible that it's the pickup that causes the muddiness.

/Sun'

I have Dimarzios in my guitar... shouldn't be too bad......
but: what bugs me more than the distortion problem (I should find an amp that provides enough distortion) is that sound-problem with tube-amps......

If an amp isn't giving you enough distortion, put an overdrive pedal in front of it (overdrive, not distortion, different beasts) which will help.

To be honest, muddiness is more pickups and the sound you dial in. Mesa is all tube, an you can get a sound that's tighter than a small childs arse out of it. Also noise gates help as well, but it's not a "tube thing", that's a load of crap.

Tighter pickups and playing about with the amp should give you that tightness.

Originally posted by Floyd
I have Dimarzios in my guitar... shouldn't be too bad......
but: what bugs me more than the distortion problem (I should find an amp that provides enough distortion) is that sound-problem with tube-amps......

Both the sound and the distortion of a tube amp depends a lot on what tubes are used. When you find the right tubes and the right amp then a tube amp will beat any solid state amp 10-0 ( IMO )

hm, My favourite style is melodic death metal (with a lot of other influences, too) and I seem to like a lot of guitarists who use the peavy 5150.
I never had the opportunity to try one, but a lot of people seem to think that they are really good. problem: these things are fucking expensive!!!! (about 1200 euros for the head only)
While looking for amps in the www i found a kind of "mini-5150" with the head and cab in one box with half the power (60W head instead of 120W) What do you think about this? any experiences?

btw: is it correct that the 5150 was developed for Eddie Van Halen? not really Melodic Death Metal, right ... ?

if i could do it over again, i would have gotten the 50W version of my head...rather than the 100W model. you can crank the master and push the amp a lot harder with a 50W. if you ever need more power, chances are you'll be playing somewhere with a PA, and you could just mic your amp.

you can also save a little $$$ with a 50W model.

5150's are badass. it doesn't matter what "rock god" name is on the amp, you can always get your own sounds. i play a Gibson SG with EMG's, through a JCM800 and i like to think i have a very unique tone.

when comparing an amp you're trying, keep in mind that a bunch of other "effects" are used in creating the tone. compression, EQ, noisegates, etc.

so in conclusion...get a tube amp. solid-state = wack.