Ampsim shootout?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I was thinking that we could do a software ampsim shootouts. Free plugs preferred, but I don't mind some commercial ones :)

Criterias:
- The goal is to get a decent sounding distorted higain tone, not a clean tone or other variations
- Only the ampsim itself, no effects before, after or in the ampsim
- If the plugin doesn't have a cabsim in it, use a cab impulse after that
- Set the output volume to -6dBFS and then export it to 256kbps stereo mp3

Would someone like to do a short DI-tracks (20 second or so) to be used for this shootout? Preferrably something diverse on it; palm muting, pinch harmonics, chords, fast and slow playing etc. Something already recorded is OK too, as long as it is played by you.

I was thinking of doing atleast these:
- Fretted Synth Audio FreeAmp (FreeAmp2, FreeAmp3)
- Nick Crow Wagner Sharp (0.6 and Mk2)
- SimulAnalog Guitar Suite (JCM900, Twin Reverb 1969)
- Voxengo Boogex
- Studio Devil BVC
- Ndzeit Audio (Dirthead, TubeBaby)
- Aradaz (White, Green, Crunch)
- mda Combo
- Matthias Becker Cortex Guitar Amp
- Florida Music Co Brackenbury-1 Tube Amp
- BTE Audio Juicy 77

edit: Added another criteria,

ReValver MKIII isn't on there?!? I think MetalAmpRoom should be in there too, but you will need an iLok to use the 10-day fully-functional demo.

~006

I think all the amp sims should have cabsim bypassed if it has one included. And the same impulse plug and impulse should be used to keep variables to a minimum. But I got to say, between Wagner and Revalver - I haven't really had to look elsewhere.

Dude, I demo'ed A2 for a while but MKIII won for me. The sound is just a lot better IMO. You should check out the Metal Amp Room demo too if you have an iLok! I'm really diggin it right now and will probably buy it myself. It's $179 and really the sounds I'm getting so far justify that price tag. I bought MKIII like almost two weeks ago and really haven't used it much since I got the MAR demo haha.

~006

Dude, I demo'ed A2 for a while but MKIII won for me. The sound is just a lot better IMO. You should check out the Metal Amp Room demo too if you have an iLok! I'm really diggin it right now and will probably buy it myself. It's $179 and really the sounds I'm getting so far justify that price tag. I bought MKIII like almost two weeks ago and really haven't used it much since I got the MAR demo haha.

~006
i just listened to the MAR demo's and wow...i have to get an ilok. these are nice to have as prepro tools but i still love mic'in up a cab

I asked the permission from the band and Daunt to use the clip he used on his reamping guide, so here are my testruns. It took about 5-7 hours to do this, so the tones are not the best ones possible, but I tried to do a tone that sounded decent, so they give you an idea what they sound like.

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/Ampsim_shootout.zip (~15mb)

Plugins used (in no particular order, + = plugins cabsim bypassed, * = no impulse cabsim used):

+ Voxengo Boogex
* X-Project X-amp
Studio Devil BVC
Nick Crow Wagner Sharp Mk2
+ Fretted Synth Audio Freeamp3 and Freeam2
* Simulanalog Guitar Suite JCM900 and Redfned Twin + Tubescreamer
+ Ndzeid Audio Dirthead and Tube Baby
Matthias Becker Cortex
+ Florida Music Co Brackenbury-1
+ Aradaz Amp Green, White and Crunch
* Mda Combo
+ Green Machine Little Green Amp II
Steinberg Quadrafuzz
Jeroen Breebaart Ferox
Camel Audio Camel Crusher

JCM 900 sounds best and is the only one I liked. The rest sounds like plastic, although I've got too less time to check the pure amp-samples with cabsims.

For me the time of checking ampsims is over anyway. There were always some troubles with stability, ressources & latency and so on. I'm using a Line 6 Gearbox which may not be the very best ampsim in the world, but it's the most unproblematic one to use. I will use the Gearbox as long as I have the oppurtunity to record real tube amps without hotplates and stuff.

However ... the best sounding software-sims are still Revalver MKII and MKIII. For swedish oldschool death metal I'd prefer cortex. You get that special "hoover-sound" out of it. I would buy them all, if they would be available as hardware.

Like the fellow above said, try Dirthead. You can get it sounding sick if you EQ and compress it properly.

I asked the permission from the band and Daunt to use the clip he used on his reamping guide, so here are my testruns. It took about 5-7 hours to do this, so the tones are not the best ones possible, but I tried to do a tone that sounded decent, so they give you an idea what they sound like.

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/Ampsim_shootout.zip (~15mb)

Plugins used (in no particular order, + = plugins cabsim bypassed, * = no impulse cabsim used):

+ Voxengo Boogex
* X-Project X-amp
Studio Devil BVC
Nick Crow Wagner Sharp Mk2
+ Fretted Synth Audio Freeamp3 and Freeam2
* Simulanalog Guitar Suite JCM900 and Redfned Twin + Tubescreamer
+ Ndzeid Audio Dirthead and Tube Baby
Matthias Becker Cortex
+ Florida Music Co Brackenbury-1
+ Aradaz Amp Green, White and Crunch
* Mda Combo
+ Green Machine Little Green Amp II
Steinberg Quadrafuzz
Jeroen Breebaart Ferox
Camel Audio Camel Crusher

Thank you for your work, my finnish friend ;)
Looking into it right now...