Amulance - The Rage Within and the Aftermath

Death Aflame

voice of dissent
Feb 1, 2004
Amulance - The Rage Within and the Aftermath
Stormspell Records - 21 April 2007
By Jordan Knoll

amulance.jpg

Colour me surprised with 80s speed metal maestros Amulance and the re-release of their demo The Rage Within and the previously un-released Aftermath Sessions in a single package, aptly emblazoned The Rage Within and the Aftermath. The reason I am so pleasantly taken aback is through no fault of the band but merely the result of my own naiveté towards the sheer plentitude of quality speed metal bands blossoming the world over in and around the decade of my birth; a naiveté I plan to correct now that Amulance has introduced me to the rifftastic jollies one can glean from the subgenre.

If, for whatever reason, you—like me—are unfamiliar with what exactly speed metal entails, let me put it this way: take the melodic and harmonic excellence (both vocally and instrumentally) of NWOBHM and fuse it with the speed and supreme technical precision of the best Thrash has to offer and you come to an approximation of the musical form that speed metal, more broadly, and Amulance, more specifically, employ. Take, for instance, the melodic triumph that is '7th Son'; just before the riffs and vocal lines become grating due to repetition, Amulance introduces a bridge and concluding section of epic intertwining proportions, bringing an otherwise competent though fairly banal song to a level of distinction that clearly showcases a band at their most masterful. Of particular note is the bass lines of Thom Braddish whom manages to wedge a nuanced complexity between the blistering barrage of the guitar and percussion sections, adding not only to the aural delights of the band as a whole but a palpable depth and intricacy as well. Another highlight is the tight as hell rhythmic demonstration that is 'Bounty Hunter', truly here—-if not elsewhere—-the band unleashes their most punishing bludgeon of triplet-laden riffs that throttles the neck just as much as the mind. Coupled with all this is a crisp production and mixing job that elevates all instruments to a level of sublime clarity without sacrificing that ‘natural’ sound that is imperative, at least in my opinion, to enjoyment.

If something negative must be said about this 52-minute epic, it is that lyrically the band is quite hit or miss. For instance, I could do without the abundance of werewolf-themed songs that dominate The Rage Within portion of this re-release, while songs like 'Daughter’s Hell', which deals with the very real problem of the victimization of children by fellow family members, is a thematic that is handled surprisingly deftly. Despite this inconsistency—and really what is here is recordings of the band from different eras of their existence, so you can’t fault them much—-The Rage Within and the Aftermath is a superb example of how a re-release should be handled.

Official Amulance Myspace
Official Stormspell Records Website