An actual concern of mine.

May 5, 2002
New York
Can't you fucking Mods put a time limit on threads? Like, let's say two months, some of these threads are fucking huge and it seems ridiculous to keep them around...

I'm sorry if I'm coming off pissed about it, but I find it pretty stupid really, I mean look at my thread I posted X months ago.... 6,722 replies??!?!

Is there a point in keeping every-post there? I'm sure it only slows down the server... So why not just put a 2 month limit thing on the threads then after that they get deleted... It seems.... logical to say the least.

How big was the Opeth Off Topic word association thread? :confused:

Why did you start an endless thread if you wanted it to end, is what I'm wondering... :err:

Reactions: NaTaSMAI
xenophobe said:
Why did you start an endless thread if you wanted it to end, is what I'm wondering... :err:

I meant it to end, it's just the sheep-for-members that seem to love this place never tired of the simplistic game.

Is it really that interesting after over half a year?

Honestly, if I had the power, and were here more often, I would've deleted that thread ages ago...

But... I've made a monster. :'(

How is it possible to reply seriously to a thread that is suggesting that there should be timelimits on threads. If one would do such a thing, others would just start thesame thread al over again.:)

Hey Rusty! Is your avatar in Quenyan? I can decipher Sindarin and tetha modes of Tengwar but not Quenyan. And I can't decipher yours.:) HAIL TOLKIEN and TENGWAR!

This is what I get from yours:
an?ranaven?
emilen?l

But thats using the tetha mode. I know that in Sindarin the tetha is opposite of Quenya. So...:)?

It's interesting to see how much we post in these threads. they don't take up as much space as you would expect. each post is just userid and text. after that, it send the users's avatar, name, sig, etc. each time, but there are never more than 50 replies per page, so it doesn't waste much loading it. a post is stored compactly. an example is:

Cheese

<user=9238,txt='Cheese'>

That's not exactly how it would be stored, but it really isn't necessary to close or delete old threads. it is part of the forum's history. plus, a time limit on threads would delete all threads. some spam threads become serious. some serious threads become spam. it gets too complicated to d oanything. pus, we have a new server to use now, and we can't be near stretching it yet, so let's settle like it is now..

Steve

Well the contradictory part of the whole deal is that he dedicated it to the word association thread in the Off Topic forum, which is SPAM HELL, and went well over 10,000 replies if I remember correctly...

So the person complaining about a spam thread is the creator, who in turn dedicated that thread affectionately to another spam thread...

Go figure. :p :Spin:

Reactions: rahvin
Actually, the views numbers got hosed a while back..threads that only had a dozen views ended up showing thousands..so I wouldn't worry about it as much as you seem to be worrying.. ;)