An interview with Mike from a guitarist perspective.

We all need to just chill out. We all agree that Mikael can write excellent music or we wouldn't be here. Let's keep this a peaceful discussion.

In my humble opinion, music theory is used to analyze music and can be used to help write it. Knowing theory is not necessary to make good music obviously as hibernal dream pointed out. Plus "good" is subjective.

Well the only reason it's not peaceful is because opethcityofthemoon is a troll. surprised he hasn't been banned already, although i'm sure he was just someone else that already got banned.

oNCE AGAIN I'M STUNNED AT THE STUPIDITY ON HERE, I DON'T PICK FIGHTS THERE GUY I JUST FINISH THEM. IF YOU WANT TO TALK LIKE AN ASSHOLE ON THESE BOARDS THEN I'M GONNA TALK TO YOU LIKE AN ASSHOLE. DON'T CALL ME A TROLL AND SAY I SHOULD GET BANNED JUST BECAUSE YOU SPOUT IDIOTIC SHIT AND I CALL YOU ON IT.

I'm going to assume you're either a troll or a girl, because you're irritable as fuck...not to mention hypocritical. You say you don't pick fights, but when someone says something like "Music theory is overrated," you call him an idiot. I'm sure I'm gonna get some caps locked rebuttal calling me an idiot, so I anticipate what insightful things you have to say.

btw I've concluded that you're probably some combination of both troll and girl.

I've long concluded that your a loser who uses words like "troll", nevertheless i am certainly not hypocritical, i absolutely don't pick fights here. From the very second i joined this forum i was catching shit from individuals such as yourself simply because you didnt agree with what i said, or maybe the username i chose, who knows really -but when someone talks of/to me with a sarcastic, shitty tone, then you bet your ass i'm gonna respond accordingly.

I Think that is missed a very important point, anyone could knows everything about music but that one never would have that so special voice of mike, his style and creativity, and do marvelous music. So there is a special characterisc that is far beyond from the knowledge, that is: THE TALENT this you couldn`t got with knowledge, just born with it, and when you born you know nothing.

Some musicians are amazing and can pick out notes and chords simply by feeling and listening. You don't NEED to know theory or chord names. It helps, but you don't need to know it.

I honestly believe that music theory is descriptive as opposed to being prescriptive. Music theory has changed over the years to account for the way that musicians compose. In other words, the "rules" of music theory were different for Haydn than they were for, say, Wagner (although many remain the same, of course). I'm not saying that Wagner flounted music theory...he was aware of what he was doing. But, in the end, he composed his music regardless of what theory said he ought to do (I'm thinking of the "Tristan chord" in particular).

More to the point, especially in metal, the world of tonality has been kind of blown wide open with chromaticism and (over?)use of the tritone. While a knowledge of theory might help a metal musician, being able to tell what sounds good and what doesn't is probably more important. Also consider, and I don't mean this disparagingly, that Mike pretty much plays his music live like he does on the album (with some notable exceptions, of course like Closure and UTWM). Once he learns the part and knows what the solo will be, who cares about theory? He isn't really put into a position where he needs that kind of knowledge at his disposal, you know? Again, I'm just calling it like I see it and mean no disrespect to a guy whose music I love and who I think is a really great person.