An original song by a band that played Metallica covers for 5 years

I'm glad you don't have the same mixing-mastering results that "mutallika haz on ther nu album". Although Rick must have put his hand on the drums an its (lack of) reverb, haha! I think you succeeded recreating the sound the band wanted and making it clear and loud without over-compressing it. I don't think it resembles too much to Metallica. I thought the song would have been a copycat of Metallica with a mix of Metallica riffs, by reading the thread title. It resembles as much to Metallica as many other bands, let's say Trivium,without actually playing like them. And of course, their drummer isn't Lars and the solos don't have wah... Mixing-wise now, I think it is really good, I guess it's how Metallica tried or wanted to sound in Death Magnetic. I would lower the overheads and the "Newsted" backing vocals a bit and bring the bass up a few db. Any info about recording and mixing???

Drums:
The drums are mostly replaced, keeping only the overheads, some of the original kick and some of the toms for fast parts to sound natural. The OHs I can't remember which brand, but they were a stereo pair of condensers (borrowed so I didn't quite check all of the mics)

Bass:
Fender J-bass, picked, cheap DI.

Guitars:
Onto the Echo Audiofire interface with its preamps
L Caparison Dellinger->Boss OD-3->Engl Fireball->Mesa Boogie Oversized 4x12->1xSM57 (andy's style)
R ESP (model??)->OD-3->Engl Fireball->Mesa...->SM...

The settings on the amp (thanks to CJWall for these wonderful settings) were (oclock):
Gain - 9
Bass - 2
Mid - 2
Tre - 2
Pres - 12

OD-3:
Drive - 9
Tone - 11
Level - 3

I also used the FX send signals from the amp and later on mostly used Keiffer's 23a impulse response (i5)

Then in mixing, I just used the C4 and dialed in the settings appropriate to the sound. There is also slight parallel compression used, but very subtle.

Vocals:
SM57 - just had a very hard time mixing it and I still don't think I have found the right "recipe" for vocals like these... (3 different types of singing) :(

Well, that's about it. I also think they don't resemble metallica that much, at least not in the choruses and such, but the riffage is quite reminiscent...

Thanks for your input and I'll consider the advice on bass and OHs when I remix this with the other three songs we're recording! I'll post 'em all up when they're finished :)

When I'm all done with the other songs, I can zip it all up and post individual tracks for you guys to go wild... Since I'm also interested how this could be done better! ;)

I actually mixed this in my (really really really untreated) room with some shitty 4.1 stock PC speakers... Makes me wonder how I even pulled THIS off... The guitar player is sick! He has great right hand technique and everything... This was my first time recording and co-producing and mixing AND mastering a band like this, and I've been into recording since I was 16? That's a year and a half now... Just wish I had more gear and a nice sounding environment!!

Gotta say that this wouldn't be possible without reading many many stickies on this forum, guys, so thanks very much!

I'll post the tracks when I find the time to bounce them!

Thanks! This was recorded in just a few days unfortunately... We all didn't have that much time..

Anyone know where I could upload the individual tracks? It's 100MB even when converted to mp3... Would it be possible to use this forum's ftp?

Hey, as I promised! The tracks! :headbang:

http://rapidshare.com/files/153355953/NotNVun_-_Sand_Glass_Smiling_-_tracks.rar.html

I have to apologize for some bad editing on the toms (something went awry) and on the kick, otherwise everything is as it should be...

For guitars, they were quad-tracked, and for each take there are 3 tracks: DI, FX Send (for impulse responses) and the actual miked signal. Drums are only 7 (quite sucky) tracks though. Kick, Snare, 3 Toms, 2 OH. I replaced almost everything!! :erk: The vocals are also quad-tracked for the most part, I only struggled with some harmonies and they aren't recorded that many times. Hope it's useful, and I'd love to hear someone mix it so I can see what can be done with REAL gear and better knowledge! :D

Enjoy guys and go crazy!! :heh::heh: