Anacrusis

Mechanix

Jun 7, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
One of my favourite metal bands ever is Anacrusis. They were a melodic/progressive thrash metal group who existed from 1987-1994 and released four great albums along the way - a band that I believe did not recieve the attention they deserved. I did a write-up about them in my zine a few years back as a tribute to them.

Are there any Anacrusis fans on this forum?

I discovered them pretty recently (a year ago from the MP3s on their website) but they're definitely one of my favorite thrash bands. The debut gets a little stale for me but the other three are all prog/thrash masterpieces to varying degrees. Just listened to Manic Impressions a few hours ago, in fact. :kickass:

Me too :headbang:. I got "Manic impressions" and "Screams and whispers". Both very good albums. I listened "Suffering hour" on their website and it´s harder and faster but still strong and powerful stuff.

Maybe I´m not too much into Ken Nardy vocals in relation to other thrash bands but it´s OK.

Great band!

I discovered them pretty recently (a year ago from the MP3s on their website) but they're definitely one of my favorite thrash bands. The debut gets a little stale for me but the other three are all prog/thrash masterpieces to varying degrees. Just listened to Manic Impressions a few hours ago, in fact

Yeah same, I only discovered them a few years ago through their website too... which has been down for a while, which sucks.

I have Suffering Hour and find it rather bland, are their other albums better?

I'd say so, yes. Their website is back up under a different address now for convenience. Manic Impressions would be my next recommendation, although the initial shock of it not being as thrashy might be a turn off.

If you don't like "Suffering Hour" don't bother with the rest. The debut it's anything but bland, it's raw and aggressive (sometimes even a bit painful to listen too). They eventually matured their sound to a more technical style (although not much improement in the vocals), which I enjoy more so my favorite is "Screams And Whispers".

I have Suffering Hour and find it rather bland, are their other albums better?

Reason, the second album, was recorded with very bad production and sounds very "doomy". Manic Impressions is a bit like Suffering Hour revisited musically but more "mature" and recorded in better production. Screams and Whispers is less thrashy and follows more along the lines of "progressive" (I use the term loosely here) metal... the opening song on Screams and Whispers "Sound the Alarm" is worth checking out though.