Analogue Console Fans....Post your dream mixing console!

i was fairly certain that funky junk prices included recapping AND comissioning.

Ask a tech and you would be really surprised:lol:
Full recap by a tech is around 10k for a 4040 so do you really think broker like FJ recap before sell?
I hear story from local owner about "recaped" console that need recap 3 months after buying. Clean up and recaping isn't the same.
Commisionning and shiping isn't the same, and you need a SSL tech for computer. Don't misunderstoud, I have anything again FJ but you have to do some inspection with old boat like 4k. But it's same with any real desk:)

SSL 4040 G+ with VCA's. It would cost me more to buy enough analog compressors to get one for each input channel that an SSL seem reasonable to purchase in the next 2-3 years if all goes ok!

Just for those of you wondering if you haven't owned an analog console before, wait to watch your electric bill damn near triple.

Mine went from $88 a month before I installed the console in 2008 to a whopping $260 +/- . It doesn't even have dynamics, but VCA automation reading via a JL Cooper system and 48 inputs at mixdown not including the Aux's and group in's.

Anytime you shut down a console expect 3-6 hours of warm-up before you get the sound back that you had before, some Neve's can take 12+ hours. Plus re-trimming of the AD/DA conversion in and out of the console as well as re-trimming of the line-in's. I keep mine on 24/7 unless i'm doing work on it. 1.2kwh's +/- for just the console is kinda brutal especially since you still need HVAC to keep the room from not getting to the point of melting your skin off during the 100+ degree california summer days.

Still beats using a fucking mouse or a fake tactile surface to mix!

I have a love/hate relationship with analogue consoles. There's something I really like about working on them, some sort of natural, relaxed feeling, but on the other hand I hate doing recalls. I guess I'm spoiled by the easiness of loading up a ProTools session, pulling the snare just a bit lower and bringing the vocal delay up, bouncing a new version, sending it to a client and continue working with another project in less than ten minutes total :)

As far as realistic dream consoles go, I'd like to try out one of the better Ameks. Something about them kinda excites me.

Yep same here.

I love older SSLs (Es, Gs, I guess Js are old now. haha) but I'd never want to own one. Not that I could afford it in the first place, but the electric bill :zombie:

although its not my "Dream console" I am really enjoy learning on this beast whilst studying audio tech. no longer runs off the computer so its simply one project at a time and also means the faders aren't motorized in them anymore. desk is around 18 years old.

SBITRockschool085.jpg

Mine went from $88 a month before I installed the console in 2008 to a whopping $260 +/- .

How are power cost in US (because I hear some crazy shit about how much expensive are power bill on comercial facility)?

+1 and the bad thing is, i've heard its best to just keep em constantly powered on! crikey that Vr48 i posted before kicks out soo much heat!!

+1000
V serie smoke cap:lol:

Not my dream or anything, but I've just bought one of these, had a full service 2/3 years ago, and is pretty much as new, I pick it up this week..

Should be fun getting it in the studio..

Nice man, same design as IL serie btw

This is the reason why Tesla recorded here...

favorite console in the world, and the SSL G+ that's in studio A.

HA! NICE! im workin about 40 feet away from that console in the A room producing the new devildriver. That neve is amazing though, really a site to behold... the control room is just massive!

When i did the last kind words here tesla was here recording their covers album and sometimes we'd finish for the day and go in their session and get stoned while they played sabbath and montrose tunes.

It ruled!

Anyway... i love working on an ssl for the functionality. The neve is great for the sound but im not sure id wanna mix on it. But there is a console that ALMOST has both nailed.

oceanway_console01.jpg

It would have to be the Focusrite Forte console, amazing neve design ISA preamp and eq on every channel. The most expensive console ever built.

How are power cost in US (because I hear some crazy shit about how much expensive are power bill on comercial facility)?

+1000
V serie smoke cap:lol:

about 16 cents for a Kw an hour. Were I live also has one of the highest cost of electricity in the US. I dont ever own a commercial facillity and have a small amount of analog comps, verb, and E.Q.'s, but I could imagine that if I were to have 1 rooms worth of analog gear and a real good HVAC system that was multi room, in california it would probably be $600-1000 a month for power alone... my guess

Yah about those V series neve's. Cool sounding, way different then any other neve, but dont ever turn one off. 7-8 hours to warm up that fucker, and it smokes cap like I smoke dank, all day long! I've never worked on one, but I know a few people that have had them for short terms over the years and its always like, "hows that neve doin?" " if it was up I'd let you know..."

But anyhow, if I were honest I would much rather prefer a SHIT TON of outboard (pres, comps, eqs, etc...) and a really nice DAW controller over an analog console. Probably just as expensive though, actually it might end up being more that way :erk:.

But for a couple reasons:

A. If something breaks it's in different pieces so taking something out of the equation wouldn't fuck you over.
B. Variety.

HA! NICE! im workin about 40 feet away from that console in the A room producing the new devildriver. That neve is amazing though, really a site to behold... the control room is just massive!

I know right!! it's huge! i was actually there when the console came in...it took 3 big moving trucks to deliver it. one with one half of the console, the other one with the other half, and the third one just for the faders and the pres.

hey, say hi to tony from me.

P.S. Loved your work on ABR