anathema gig last friday

veil the sky

Lexicon V
Nov 22, 2001
Guildford UK
www.desolation.org.uk
three bands i was really looking forward to seeing.

anathema were damn good as i had expected, if not polished musically the whole way through it was a great atmospheric show and a nicely balanced set.

ship of fools.... well as soon as i see the album anywhere i'm getting it because that set was just awesome. i never believed that a band with no vocals and not even a frontman to introduce themselves or the songs could captivate an audience so convincingly, but then i had never heard ship of fools before! :)

i got hold of the thine album about 4 days before the gig. great cd. best described as anathema meets katatonia. sound didn't really come across too well but the vocalist was a very capable frontman and musically it was all good.

anyone here go?

anyone here go?

me, of course :)

I really enjoyed the Anathema set. I found it a little surprising that the audience seemed so familiar with the Judgement and AFDTE material, well particularly the AFDTE material, which can be damned boring on disk, but which sounded pretty good live. The sound wasn't quite so polished as on disk - particularly the guitars which sounded rather raw at times. Vinny really put everything into the delivery of his vocals.

I watched Ship of Fools from the upstairs bar where I was poisoning myself with a Mean Fiddler veggiburger and chips - disgusting :puke: I couldn't hear the 'vocals/spoken samples' very well, but the music was great. I'd been told that they were rather like Ozric Tentacles, but I stand by my description of them being akin to Porcupine Tree.

Didn't see Thine.

Off to Opeth (more to see Without Face than anything) and perhaps Arch Enemy on Sunday in Camden.

Originally posted by veil the sky
didn't say hi. but i threw the drunken horns instead! \m/

said hi to without face though :) ...and my god isn't she fine! (move over christina)

I bet you said more then hello to her!!!
how are you doing man

Hmmm, im confused, i thought the first band were ship of fools.... hmm ok, in that case

Thine were total crap

Ship of fools, hmmm, not really my thing!

Anathema were amazing though, would have liked to hear a dying wish and empty though... still cant have everything!

BTW, im new...

Hi

Greetings butterfly \m/

A quick question for anyone at the gig, mean and my mate have been bitching for weeks about the last song anathema played in london, the long chilled out one.....

Now he swears blind it was 2000 and gone but just slightly altered, now i know and love that song, and i swear blind it was not 2000 and gone, i have no idea what it was yet i own and listen to all the anathema albums except the two best of s....

Any ideas what the last song was?

I posted a review and setlist in my review on the Anathema forum. I swear it was 2000 and gone (slightly modified), but I've been wrong before :p

Originally posted by Fragile Dreams
Hmmm, im confused, i thought the first band were ship of fools.... hmm ok, in that case

Thine were total crap

Ship of fools, hmmm, not really my thing!

Anathema were amazing though, would have liked to hear a dying wish and empty though... still cant have everything!

BTW, im new...

Hi

yeh dammit i really wanted to hear empty too!!!

i love that song! ah well.... there's always next time.