Anathema

ChildInFlames

Eternal flaming grave
Nov 21, 2001
Russia, Saint-Petersburg
Visit site
Hey everybody!
I'm new here :)
I never heard Anathema... what style is it? Vocals?
My faves are: In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Children Of Bodom, Opeth, Soilwork, Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, Lake Of Tears, Nightwish, Autumnblaze(1999 album), Blind Guardian and some others.
Would appreciate if you reply :)

Hey, welcome!

Anathema is like two different bands, depending on the period.

The first three albums ("Crestfallen", "Serenades" and "Pentecost III") are in the traditional 90's British doom-metal style, similar to early My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost, but still quite distinctive; the vocals are growled and moaned, and it depends on you whether you can tolerate the moaning. There are numerous admirers of this period here, so they will enlighten you more - I'm not a fan of those albums.

With "The Silent Enigma" and especially with "Eternity" begins the second period: the band gradually evolves from their doom-metal beginnings to more psychedelic rock/metal territories. The vocals are cleanly sung, with expression and emotion. "Judgement" is probably the pinnacle of their music - the most serene and cosmic album, great depth in the seemingly transparent music. "A Fine Day to Exit" is their newest, and seems to drift off into another different direction, with more sonic exploration and diversity of moods.

Let's say, if you like Lake of Tears (Forever Autumn), you owe yourself to check out Anathema's later albums - the style is similar, but Anathema are much better.

D Mullholand

Considering the bands you listen. maybe you won't like A. , but give them a try!!! They're very emotional!;)

Well, definitely if you've never heard Anathema you just have to do it. Immediately :)

Anathema (late Anathema as Mullholand had already said) is really emotional and just unforgottenably beautiful and just fucking great! :) I can't express my feelings; maybe because it's too hard, maybe because my english is too mean :)

I would advise you to listen "One last goodbye", "Regret", "Deep", "Eternity part III (acoustic)", "Hope", "Emotional winter" to create something like first impression. That's exactly what Anathema was like a year, or two ago (their greatest period). They're moving forward now (as always) and of course you should listen to their last album.

Concerning first ones I wouldn't say that they're "bad" or... I like them. There you may find great songs for example "Sleepless", "J'ai Fait Une Promese", "Kingdom"... Style is similar to early November's Doom.

Anathema has been changing stuff badly during their way to the top :) The greatest loss was, I think, Duncan Patterson who left the band for his new (great!) project Antimatter. He wrote a lot of material. He was a great member for the band. And after Dave Pybus left the band (bassist who replaced Patterson) Anathema hasn't a bassist yet.

Anathema also uses a lot of acoustic guitars (that's my weakness...) and if you liked Forever Autumn (sorry, Mullholand, I cannot force myself not to mention it again :) you would like Anathema. Although styles are not very similar. Anathema does a lot of live acoustic show. To my great shame I haven't seen any...

Anathema is forever.

Opeth?

Man, I tried to listen to them (my friend, big into that type music, ranted and raved about them) ... not my cup of tea, to say the least :D

Originally posted by IAmObsolete
Opeth?
How about Opeth, I just wanna say that they're brilliant, I just wonder what makes the nordic people to create such a great music...they must be aliens:lol: Still life is a complete masterpiece...damn complicated music!

They clearly have talent ( i read the booklet with all their lyrics, great lyrics) but I need to understand what they be sayin' :D

Just me, though. :D

offside.gif

D Mullholand said:
Hey, welcome!

Anathema is like two different bands, depending on the period.

The first three albums ("Crestfallen", "Serenades" and "Pentecost III") are in the traditional 90's British doom-metal style, similar to early My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost, but still quite distinctive; the vocals are growled and moaned, and it depends on you whether you can tolerate the moaning. There are numerous admirers of this period here, so they will enlighten you more - I'm not a fan of those albums.

With "The Silent Enigma" and especially with "Eternity" begins the second period: the band gradually evolves from their doom-metal beginnings to more psychedelic rock/metal territories. The vocals are cleanly sung, with expression and emotion. "Judgement" is probably the pinnacle of their music - the most serene and cosmic album, great depth in the seemingly transparent music. "A Fine Day to Exit" is their newest, and seems to drift off into another different direction, with more sonic exploration and diversity of moods.

Let's say, if you like Lake of Tears (Forever Autumn), you owe yourself to check out Anathema's later albums - the style is similar, but Anathema are much better.

D Mullholand

This is untrue. A Natural Disaster is their latest offering...and its wonderful I might add.