ANCIENT RITES and MOONSORROW...What Would YOU Like To Know?

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
Greetings,

I have interviews planned at the end of August with Ancient Rites and Moonsorrow. Between now and then, I'll immerse myself in their music and create pages of questions for Gunther (Ancient Rites) and Ville (Moonsorrow).

But is there something Heathen Crusade fans want to know about these two great bands? If so, feel free to suggest some Qs of your own. Whenever possible, I'll ask them during my interview.

Cheers,

Bill

I'll immerse myself in their music and create pages of questions for Gunther (Ancient Rites) and Ville (Moonsorrow).

Hey,
I have a serious question.
I seriously do not mean to come off as a jerk either.

As an interviewer, do you ever fear that it will come across that you are not familiar with the bands you speak to?

I know I have read interviews with bands where it is obvious that the conductor knows absolutely zero about the band's history or their music.

It seems you take the time to research the band, and that's cool.
Though do you fear that it might not come off as smooth as if you were interviewing a band you were familiar with?

As I said, serious question from myself who reads such interviews and can tell when the conductor has no clue.

That being said............
I would ask these bands what their perception is of a US crowd VS a European crowd....

What will Moonsorrow do differently 2nd time around?

Ancient Rites possible setlist, Dim Carcosa/Fatherland material? :D

TO both bands, do you prefer a small festival like this one in the states vs. a Wacken-type fest?

Hey,

As an interviewer, do you ever fear that it will come across that you are not familiar with the bands you speak to?

I know I have read interviews with bands where it is obvious that the conductor knows absolutely zero about the band's history or their music.

Though do you fear that it might not come off as smooth as if you were interviewing a band you were familiar with?

As I said, serious question from myself who reads such interviews and can tell when the conductor has no clue.

That being said............
I would ask these bands what their perception is of a US crowd VS a European crowd....

Hi Jasonic,

Great questions!

If you read my ProgPower USA interviews over the past three years you'll see that I nearly know as much about the bands as the members do. I uncover obscure interviews, facts, demo recordings, and other info. Plus, I've been in the business for nearly 20 years. I know about the music industry as well as the individual bands. So I often ask broader questions as well as specific in-depth questions.

In the end, the comments I hear/read most often have to do with my mastery of the material. After my interviews, I'll get e-mails from the band members telling me how much they enjoyed talking to me, and -- in some cases -- that it was the best interview they've ever given.

I never approach a band cold. In fact, when I say I spend two weeks immersing myself I mean, more precisely, boning up and preparing. I already have enough general information to ask good questions. What I bring to the table are great questions that set what I do apart from most other interviews. But it's more than that. There's something about my personality that allows really fun-to-read conversations that are unique to metal interviews.

Check out my ProgPower interview sites to see what I mean.

Thanks for the questions...and for the questions for the bands. Both are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

i have few question for gunther theys
1. update on former members Johan,Pascal and wattie.what are they doing these days.
2.Why did bart leave the band?

Couple of questions for each:

Questions for Ville:

1) What is the mindset of the band for making long songs? How do they know when the music they come up with can be put together in one song, or made into a couple of different songs? Do they create the riffs/melodies separately and then go about combining them later? Basically what I'm wanting to know is how can they make the long, epic songs sound like 1 piece of music as opposed to 4 or 5 different ideas mashed together? Or why/how do they decide to make a long song instead of a couple of separate ones?
2) Is it easier/more natural for them to write the lyrics in Finnish instead of writing them in English? Or do they feel it’s more natural for the topics/songs to be presented in their native language? Is there any concern from them about alienating possible fans because the songs are not in English?
3) How have they kept the same band together for so long when many bands in the genre change members more often than underwear?

For Gunther:

1) I know Gunther is a student of history, but how does he come up with the themes for the songs? Is there something he is studying/reading and that gives him ideas? Or does he want to write a song about something and then does the studying/reading/investigation? Or maybe some combination of both?
2) Is there anything musically he would like to try that Ancient Rites has not attempted yet?

Bill,
Thanks for the reply.
I am glad you understood the reasons for my questions and were not offended!

I will have to check out your interviews some time.

Hey,

i got totally pwnd in my eluveitie interview. not for lack of info on the band. but lack of knowledge in celtic history. but oh well. i have no problem looking stupid.

live and learn
~gR~

i got totally pwnd in my eluveitie interview. not for lack of info on the band. but lack of knowledge in celtic history. but oh well. i have no problem looking stupid.

live and learn
~gR~

There have been a couple of times over the years when I'll ask a question that I honestly should have known the answer to. But, as in the case of one of the recent ProgPower USA bands, the guy had some 15+ albums over a 20-year history. I forgot to memorize the line-up of one the bands he was in. So I asked him how he first met so-and-so. "I was in a band with him," he replied, not unkindly. D'oh! I thought to myself. I should have known that! It's a good thing this guy is as friendly as he is professional. He didn't mind that I seemed to lack knowledge about one question, even though it bugged the crap out of me.

But...such things happen. So I'm pretty sure, GR, that it wasn't the first and it (sadly) won't be the last time you'll do that in an interview. It happens to me -- and I've been doing interviews for about as long as you've been alive.

No worries.

Let us know when (and where) your interviews post. I'd love to read them.

Cheers,

Bill

still waiting for the orphaned land response. and im still researching the other 3, while also doing my boatload of cd reviews hehehe
~gR~

The 30-minute long first track from V: Havitetty just completely kicked my ass, that was very unexpected. :headbang:

Yep - that is easily the best of the 3 long tracks they've released since Verisakeet. I seemed to be in the minority about really digging that one upon its release, but its gained some support among some folks that have either revisited or decided to finally take the plunge.