ELVENKING: What Would YOU Like To Know?

The Scythe is not a clone of Heathenreel, or WYRD, but it damn sure carries parts of both with it into the songwriting. Yes, there is more straightforward metal than previous releases, but to say all Folk is virtually cut out.. how can you say that after listening to Riddle of the Stars, Dominhate, Totentanz, and Horns Ablaze*? I mean, these are just the songs that strike me as the most grassroots-ish on the CD, but the elements are all in place from most of the songs. I think the only song really lacking the way most people claim the whole CD is, would be The Divided Heart. The way people go on, it's as though it's 11 tracks of that very song.

No, it's not as folk-tastic as Heathenreel, yes it is an evolved sound, but I think asking Elvenking to re-hash (essentially) Heathenreel is like asking Nightwish to re-release another Oceanborn, or Blind Guardian to remake ITFOS. The sounds from these albums still exist in the bands current works. In fact, I think these 2 examples are far more dramatic changes than The Scythe.

Take for example Mercenary, then. Everblack and Architect of Lies are completely different beasts, but you can tell they both carry Mercenary's difinitive sound. Much like The Scythe does for Elvenking. Maybe i'm rambling, but I really do think The Scythe is no less folky than The Winter Wake, and only a little less than WYRD (which frankly, I don't really count as an EK release).

I think we're more on the same page than off...maybe I just worded it differently. I never claimed that all the folky stuff was gone, just...hmmm...incorporated differently? That may be a better way to word it. And again, I like all of the albums. I would never want them to recreate Heathenreel and that's not what I was implying. The original point of this thread was to ask questions you are curious about, so that's what I did. Are they consciously trying to use the folk elements differently or is it a natural development or do they not see any difference in the albums?

Just curious nailz...assuming you like all the releases, how do you rank them? Mine would go something like:

1. The Winter Wake
2. Heathenreel
3. The Scythe
4. Wyrd (not that their aren't good songs, I just prefer Damna)

I know the thread was for asking questions, but hey, questions can sometimes spark debates ;) I think I agree with your last post completely. Rank the albums? Well.. hmm..

1. Heathenreel
2. The Scythe
3.The Winter Wake
4.To Oakwoods Bestowed (lol demo)
5. Wyrd

Frankly, I couldn't stand WYRD, and still find it a very 'bleh' album. I think it was ruined in studio with all of the stuff that was going on.

Heathenreel is the only essential release from them, but Wyrd and The Winter Wake have a few cool songs. I think The Scythe is trash.

Just checked it out and this is definitely folk (The newer stuff however is NOT...). Still, there are way better folk bands out there imo.

I know the thread was for asking questions, but hey, questions can sometimes spark debates ;) I think I agree with your last post completely. Rank the albums? Well.. hmm..

1. Heathenreel
2. The Scythe
3.The Winter Wake
4.To Oakwoods Bestowed (lol demo)
5. Wyrd

Frankly, I couldn't stand WYRD, and still find it a very 'bleh' album. I think it was ruined in studio with all of the stuff that was going on.

Hey Nailz,

In doing my research for my EK Qs, I noticed just how friggin' big of an Elvenking fanboy you are. You're all over their Forum, dude!

You remind me of the Justin Long character in Galaxy Quest who knew everything there was to know about the spaceship and asked the captain technical questions ("...the thing is online blueprints clearly indicate Deck B is independent of the guidance matrix. So we were wondering just where the error lies in that.") :)

I can definitely respect a man with passion for music. You rock!

Bill

Hope the setlist include at least 1 song from WYRD, I would like to hear THE JIGZAW puzzle or DISSAPEARING SANDS.

Just two questions for him, I want to know if SKYCLAD or MARTIN when he was in this band has influenced a little bit the music of ELVENKING and the second one is about merchandise, are you bringing some ELVENKING T Shirts?.

Hope AIDAN could let us know some of the songs on the set list they will be playing.

See ya.

Best from MEXICO and see you all at PP.

Thank God I'm not the only one nerdy enough to have caught that :)

I want to know where I can find one of those pimp green shirts from the Heathenreel era, but that's probably JUST me, hahaha.