And another interesting read.

I don't know about that - between Reznor literally giving his album away for free before it was released, the Prince nonsense, and this I think we'll start seeing more of the effects of record industry bullshit.

Jeff

Well i personally think its a good idea to sell your songs on your site. But for a set fee. At least then is you can only afford a few songs, ou can go back when you have more money and get the rest. Also if the band sucked you dont waste your cash on the full cd.

personally, I think it's a shift for the worse for any recording/live artist who depends on the income of sales... The greed from the recordcompanies will make them remain blind for the changes on the market leaving them still blaming download etc. thus less sales, and less promotion or budget for recording a new album. And giving the downloader the choice of what to pay... all will say none ofcourse... this way creating a vicious circle, where concerttickets go up and up and up and less and less people can or want to spend that much on concerts, ending up leaving no market for the artist... and in that way destroying any possibility of making a living of music.

personally, I think that it would be better if there would be a max price for a music CD... over here in Belgium you can find variations between 14,95€ - 22€ for the same CD. with 22€ most will think, I'll download the damn thing and be done with it. If youth can afford CD's I'm sure they'll buy as well... Maybe it's just me who thinks the digital formats are too temporary... the most painful fact though, is that record company prices for a CD have hardly risen over the past 20 years, same for the artists cut, yet the musicstores selling them raise the prices out the whazzoo... The positive effect from download is the wider exposure and the chance to check out at home wether you like the music or not. Complete albums on the net is just not necessary and a step back in to the vicious circle, in the end hurting both artist and musicfan...

my 2ct.

They make most money from touring anyway, so i don't think they are gonna be affected much by it, it is just a kick in the balls of greedy record labels.
P.S.
I hope the new metallica comes out on century media, or on napster:lol:
later edit: the lol sign initially placed in the front of my post was there on accident, i just noticed that, it was intended for the napster comment. Sry if it got the wrong message across

For an established band they can do this knowing they're not losing any money because they have the fanbase generating the revenue through traditional means (concerts/swag) and any revenue from the album sales would be a hell of alot more then a label is likely to cut them. Having the pre-existing cash to record and popularity makes it an option.

My problem with it is I'm not paying for an mp3. I can go get them from alot of places for free, thats nothing new. What I like to do is make a purchase from a real store, get the cool printed artwork, the _maximum quality disc_, and more often then not the extra stuff (always gotta have the ltd edition!). Thats where my money is gonna go. Hell I've even bought a few albums twice to get the bonus stuff. Roll a camera on the recording and tape a couple songs from a show and give the people more content, your doing this stuff anyway, capatilise on it! (synchestra bonus dvd is the best example of this, just record a set in the studio itself!)

Its a copout for sure, and kinda lame imo. But then I think the same of radiohead. itunes and the like sucks and is for idiots, it bastardizes quality and artist support. Digital distribution has been going on for years and years and now people are jumping on it instead of competing with it in a smart way. I say use it as a free advertising medium for the brick and mortar and concert sales...

edit: which I guess radiohead are doing. but they suck. Its really a dead end to 'fix' whats happened to album sales, you just have to take whats happened and how it is at face value and work around it. But noones gonna go see your kickass live show if your album sucks. catch22 of the digital age I guess

Do I have issues? I cannot figure out how to purchase this album. You would expect them to have a big link on their web site but either I'm blind or it's not there. I suppose I'll just have to download it illegally on Limewire...

Hey GGI,

I think you're referring to Radiohead here? The link is the title of their album, which was mentioned in that article I first posted. Yep, they're subtle.Damn indies....:lol:

Anybody venture to say a giant metal band might do this next?

Well, I pre-ordered "St. Abomination" back in '03 before I heard it, so they kinda owe me a record with actual music on it anyway. ;)

They're certainly in the position to try this without putting their existence on the table (not even close...), but I could hardly imagine them doing this. It would be kinda funny though, considering that they got things rolling with the whole Napster issues back then. But I wouldn't really rule it out neither since they're living in their own little universe orbiting around Mars... ehmm... Lars.

oh come on, the frantic intro was promising:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah :p

I was so psyched up back then because all the journalists said that it was a "raw and powerful return to form". Months later they all hated it, too. :lol: I guess they're also just fans in a way... and sometimes you want something so badly, you know.. But that thingy is a topic on its own and I guess everything has been said about that record... at least twice.