And finally, photos from the tour finale in Huskvarna

ufomagnet

Metal photographer
Aug 24, 2005
Gothenburg
www.ufomagnet.com
Published my photos from the Close Up Made Us Do It tour finale in Huskvarna, Sweden, last night but forgot to post them here. The gig was great, well over 300 fans showed up which is ok considering that the twin cities Jönköping/Huskvarna isn't that big and pretty close to both Göteborg, Linköping and Skövde where the tour already had been. Better than the 35 people or so they played for in Östersund anyway...

The place was very cold though, winter came early this year and the old theatre didn't seem to have any weather isolation at all. The poor guys in Engel REALLY were the "warm up act" this time :-I

Anyway, photos.

The full set can be found here:
http://www.mestrock.se/view_se.php?s_id=363

Samples:

081122_dark_tranquillity_12.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_03.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_04.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_11.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_17.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_25.jpg

081122_dark_tranquillity_30.jpg

cheers!

/daniel.

Look at his avatar. Does that really look alive to you?

Great pics indeed! Mind telling us what camera + lens you had?

Thanks! I use a Canon 5D and a Canon 1D Mark III. Lenses were 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 24/1.4 and 50/1.4, all Canon. I'd love to replace my trusty old 5D with the 5D Mark II but since I'm unemployed I can't afford it right now :(

That photo of Stanne was taken with the 5D at 17mm. I was standing PRETTY close to him :)

Thanks for the infos, so no flash at all? I am also wondering if I should go for 5D MKII :)

Nopes, no flash. Normally they won't allow you to use a flash in the phot pit.

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to the 5D MKII and I'm going to wait for some proper reviews. The two most important features of a camera when it comes to concert photography is low noise at high ISO (1600 and up) and good autofocus performance in low light.

The 5D II seems to keep the noise under control, especially when the images are scaled down, but the autofocus doesn't seem to be very improved and the files are HUGE = few photos on each memory cards and your computer will have a tough job with the big RAW-files.

If you're hunting for raw low-light performance I'd look at the Nikon D700 too. 12Mpixel is enough for big prints and they're really keeping the noise levels down and it has pro level autofocus, more like the Canon 1D-cameras rather than the 5D which has the same autofocus system as the smaller 40D/50D cameras.

/d.

@ufomagnet: i'm about to buy a digital reflex camera as well. but I wonder if it's worth spending so much money for 5d mkII, considering I wouldn't use it as a professional, but just from time to time to take pictures at concerts, or during holidays. do you think I can be satisfied with canon eos 40d or 450d? are those good for taking good pictures at shows (with no flash, lots of movement and low lights)? thanks

@ Nico : if you are not to invest "that much" I would recommand 50D + 17-55 F2,8 with OS (lens not usable on full frame :()

@ Ufomagnet : I dunno, I have seen bad comments on the 700D but overall I reckon I prefer Nikon noise

@ufomagnet: i'm about to buy a digital reflex camera as well. but I wonder if it's worth spending so much money for 5d mkII, considering I wouldn't use it as a professional, but just from time to time to take pictures at concerts, or during holidays. do you think I can be satisfied with canon eos 40d or 450d? are those good for taking good pictures at shows (with no flash, lots of movement and low lights)? thanks

That also depends on lense you are using, sensor quality is important too, but with good (anti-vibration) glass you can achieve decent quality on pretty much any camera.

Keep in mind that 5D Mark II full frame, and it's said that not every lense will work with it (correct me if I'm wrong).

5D Mark II is the best thing for the money, but if you are not going to use it to actually make money - you are better off with some 10MP XTi. Not 40D though, fuck that.

Oh, and fuck Nikon.