And Friday Night went to ......Redemption

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Alright........this is obviously just my opinion and there will be many others but I thought that Redemption stole the night. They were just amazing. I also met Ray Alder in the front hallway and he was a class act all the way.

Pagans Mind ran a close second for me as they were very tight (minus the bobble at the end) and full of enegy. Man that dude can sing.

I like Sonata Arctica albums very well but they really did not do much for me live. I was afraid of this after seeing them on dvd. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great and all......but for some reason, it just did not do much for me.

Communic was great. This was one of those bands I knew noting about when they were announced and I have really come to love this band.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable night! Met some folks from the forum and purchased some goodies. I really only had one negatve experience and that was with Mat Sinner. I ask him for a photograph and he turned me down and did it in a real asshole kind of way. This was very dissapointing concidering this is one of the bands I really wanted to see and had just purchased a primal fear cd at the show. If he didn't want to be bothered by patrons, then here is an idea, don't hang out in the lobby you ass. OK, I feel beter now.

It was alot to take in for my first Progpower and it is a first class operation all the way. Glen, you are living up to your reputation.

I have to disagree, I'm not a Pagan's Mind fan...in fact I didnt really want to sit through thier set but figured I'd give them a shot, and they just kicked everybodies ass. It was pretty obvious from the crowd response that they were top dog Friday (IMO of course). Hats off the PM, they made fan out of me tonight.

I'm not a fan of either Redemption or Pagan's Mind. My favorites were Raintime and Communic. In any event Pagan's Mind was clearly and easily the crowd favorite.

what was up with the sound for Redemption? guitars way too low in the mix, very annoying. Pagan's Mind, whether you liked them or not, you have to admit they were the best-sounding band of the night, in terms of the mix. Raintime was badass, and really looked like they were having fun. Communic was pretty awesome. the members of Raintime and Communic that i talked to were pretty cool, too.

I just don't understand Redemption..It hasn't gotten through to me yet I guess. I've tried listening to them over and over and it just doesn't appeal to my ears. Talented no doubt, just not my style I suppose. Same goes for Virgin Steele, I just don't get the jaw-dropping feeling everyone else does, and no bassist? wtf?

(Go ahead and crucify me.)

I'm not too familiar with Redemption. I did download an album before I came here to get an idea of what they sound like. I thought that they were alright on cd and live.
But did not really stick out for me. Although, when I got in there to watch them, I didn't know Ray Alder (from Fates Warning) was the singer for that band. I was kinda siked to watch and hear him. He seemed pretty spent and worn out. But I thought he did an exceptional job. It was no ANARCHY DIVINE though!

I can easily see where people feel that Pagans mind was the top dog of the night as it was a killer set. I would say for me ( a redemption super fan boy) that the highlight was REDEMPTION but putting those feelings aside, PM was probably the crowd favorite. Great job by both and Communic was a not so distant 3rd for me.

Not that he wasn't there already, but Ray Alder is forever enshrined in the upper echelon of metal vocalists. So far, aside from Freak Kitchen, Redemption has been the highlight of the fest for me. Raintime and Communic were very good in their own right, but in my mind, hearing Sapphire thrown into the Redemption set solidified them as the best of the best for Friday night.

For my taste, Pagan's Mind stole the show for me last night, but I don't want to take anything away from Redemption. Both bands put on stellar performances all the way. :worship:

I'm backing up Fatesfan's comment about Matt Sinner. I didn't have a problem with they guy until last night, because I didn't have a reason to. I'm not the type of person that approaches people for this very reason, especially musicians. I put most of these guys on pedalstels and when they turn out to not be what I thought they were, then it's very disappointing for me. :erk: Matt totally blew off Fatesfan, which I think is pretty dumb from a business standpoint on Matt's part. I'll just leave my comments at that. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

I would say it went

1) Pagan's Mind - Just played strong start to finish
2) Sonata Arctica - I wanted them to be #1, but they just seemed flat-footed for the first part of set. The end was high energy as always
3) Raintime - Ended up with both their CD's. Very impressed
4) Communic
5) Redemption - I just don't get this band either. PPIII and now, both times the music has zero melodies and hooks to me. They're talanted, but just one of those bands that don't click for me
6) Virgin Steele - Just a bad performance all around. The singer was the worst part IMO. It was so annoying him doing his little high voice over and over every song - "Wooooah--------oooah!!!". And that scream when he would go up in pitch. Annoying as all get out. Plus, the energy just could not be felt in their set.

I would say it went

1) Pagan's Mind - Just played strong start to finish
2) Sonata Arctica - I wanted them to be #1, but they just seemed flat-footed for the first part of set. The end was high energy as always
3) Raintime - Ended up with both their CD's. Very impressed
4) Communic
5) Redemption - I just don't get this band either. PPIII and now, both times the music has zero melodies and hooks to me. They're talanted, but just one of those bands that don't click for me
6) Virgin Steele - Just a bad performance all around. The singer was the worst part IMO. It was so annoying him doing his little high voice over and over every song - "Wooooah--------oooah!!!". And that scream when he would go up in pitch. Annoying as all get out. Plus, the energy just could not be felt in their set.

Great synopsis...We were discussing this last night, this morning at breakfast and at lunch and this pretty much hit the nail on head. The only difference is I would have flipped Communic and Raintime, but only becaues I knew more communic songs. WTF happened w/ Virgin Steele. IMO one of the worst sets I can remember from a PP band.

Pagans Mind ruled..Unreal set and Jorn was sick on the guitar....what a show tonight though too! love it all

lunatic:headbang:

All in all, it was a very enjoyable night! Met some folks from the forum and purchased some goodies. I really only had one negatve experience and that was with Mat Sinner. I ask him for a photograph and he turned me down and did it in a real asshole kind of way. This was very dissapointing concidering this is one of the bands I really wanted to see and had just purchased a primal fear cd at the show. If he didn't want to be bothered by patrons, then here is an idea, don't hang out in the lobby you ass. OK, I feel beter now.

It was alot to take in for my first Progpower and it is a first class operation all the way. Glen, you are living up to your reputation.

Bummer about Matt Sinner, that is the kind of thing that turns me off from meeting bands. Once that happens, I have a hard time listening to thier music. kind of like, why should I support you if you are an ass to me. Not that they should do what we want, but a simple photo cold mean a lot to a fan, more than the person can realize.

Bummer about Matt Sinner, that is the kind of thing that turns me off from meeting bands. Once that happens, I have a hard time listening to thier music. kind of like, why should I support you if you are an ass to me. Not that they should do what we want, but a simple photo cold mean a lot to a fan, more than the person can realize.

True. I own about every album of theirs and was going to buy the new one down here and decided not to. I have even thought about selling my PM collection. I have kind of calmed down by now though and I will just let it slide as my one man boycott will mean nothing. They did slay tonight!

Redemption owned Friday night...no problem. Even with Ray struggling...his emotion was great. The musicianship level that these guys showed was well above the rest. Seemingly flawless set. PM had more energy, but they just didn't come through for me the way l expected them to. Then the fuck up on "Through Osiris Eyes"...they recovered decently though. l just expected better from them.

Im surprised to hear this, I missed Redemption at PPUSA but I saw em open for DT back in August, they are good sound-wise but no1 but Adler has any energy at all on the stage.