And Friday Night went to ......Redemption

May this will help Patrick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kqcnkROuI

I just don't understand Redemption..It hasn't gotten through to me yet I guess. I've tried listening to them over and over and it just doesn't appeal to my ears. Talented no doubt, just not my style I suppose. Same goes for Virgin Steele, I just don't get the jaw-dropping feeling everyone else does, and no bassist? wtf?

(Go ahead and crucify me.)

6) Virgin Steele - Just a bad performance all around. The singer was the worst part IMO. It was so annoying him doing his little high voice over and over every song - "Wooooah--------oooah!!!". And that scream when he would go up in pitch. Annoying as all get out. Plus, the energy just could not be felt in their set.

Then I must be retarded because I thought Virgin Steele's set was HELLA full of energy!! Where were you, sleeping in the seats?? Shit, I about broke my neck! :lol: I guess I'll be one of the few that totally loved Virgin Steele then. I'll raise my horns for them - that was badass performance! They had my undivided attention and hard-pumping adrenaline! :kickass:

Most of the bands on Friday night turned in A+ performance, imo. Raintime were phenomenal! Communic are brilliant - one of my favorite sets of the weekend! Virgin Steele know how to bring the power metal! Redemption are gods of their instruments! Pagan's Mind are great performers with great music. Sonata who?

Not that he wasn't there already, but Ray Alder is forever enshrined in the upper echelon of metal vocalists.

+1, and quoted for truth. If there was a Prog Metal Hall of Fame, Alder would be one of the first enshrined by default. Too bad I didn't hit PP this year, but I caught Redemptions opening night show in LA back in March, so I don't feel THAT bad... just don't rub it in.

I have to admit, as much as I *love* Sonata...
I know for sure that if I didn't know their songs (and if they didn't play the VERY FEW good ones they did)...
I would have not liked their set much.
It wasn't until the end they got "some" energy. Some...
Not the best, in my opinion...
(and this coming from someone who was going crazy during their set).
But I also know it wasn't unique or great. It was just another "show" for them. I was expecting them to act like headliners.
So yeah..... Pagan's Mind!!!!
I think for what VS are, they were good. Could see why people wouldn't like it - but horrible? So many people were bashing them. I don't think they were that bad.

(and this coming from someone who was going crazy during their set).

QFT.

By the way, Vanessa, I was the guy who, along with Mosquito, allowed you room to get up on the rail for Sonata. (It's waaaayyyy cooler to rock from row two!!!) Just so you know, all of that jumping/thrashing around you did right in front of me almost caused us to have unintentional sex like 6 or 7 times. :lol:

It was nice to see you enjoing yourself during the set though... personally they did nothing for me (especially after seeing Redemption and Pagan's Mind)so I was happy to see a real fan up front and giving major love back to the band (I mean, would it kill the bassist or keyboard player to smile once or twice?)

Redemption was very good, but Pagan's Mind owned Friday night.
As much as I love Sonata, I agree with the majority of the opinions here -- they were good but not great. They did not live up to my expectations and did not rise to the occasion of being on the best damn metal festival in the USA. Why didn't they just add 15 minutes to the set and play some really good deep tracks? And why couldn't the rest of the band match Tony's on-stage energy?

My only beef with Pagan's Mind ... NOT ONE TRACK OFF OF INFINITY DIVINE?!?! COME ON!!!

QFT.

By the way, Vanessa, I was the guy who, along with Mosquito, allowed you room to get up on the rail for Sonata. (It's waaaayyyy cooler to rock from row two!!!) Just so you know, all of that jumping/thrashing around you did right in front of me almost caused us to have unintentional sex like 6 or 7 times. :lol:

It was nice to see you enjoing yourself during the set though... personally they did nothing for me (especially after seeing Redemption and Pagan's Mind)so I was happy to see a real fan up front and giving major love back to the band (I mean, would it kill the bassist or keyboard player to smile once or twice?)

Well, they smiled at me once or twice. :p

Do you remember the keyboardist throwing me his towel? I felt like at a N*Sync concert because I still have it for some reason LOL. The bassist always looks bored or that he hates his job. Same thing in Fort Lauderdale a year and a half ago. :ill: :lol:

Other than that, I think they're always drunk.

And ughh didn't realize it was THAT tight in the pit. :lol::zombie:
Nice meeting you and thanks for letting me get up front!!!! Pagan's Mind was the band to top and I don't think Sonata did.