Redemption...

l too felt bad for Ray...as he was definitely putting forth the effort to deliver...the chords just weren't there for him. l read alot of feedback that pointed out his vocal issues on the DT tour. It's quite possible he did some damage to his vocal chords on that tour. James Labrie went through a period where he struggled on tours...took a few years for him to overcome whatever it was that ailed him. Anyway, getting back to Ray...the emotion he conveyed was unmatched and his phrasing impeccable. Nick and the guys were on point without a doubt. Talentwise...they owned that portion.

The first time I saw Redemption, I was underwhelmed. At the time, I would have ranked Ray Alder as my favorite metal vocalist. This time I wasn't expecting much based on that previous performance. I was definitely overwhelmed. They sounded great, were tight, and looked like they were having a great time.

I found Redemption's set to be absolutely phenomenal and I agree, their cd ranks on my list of best purchases I have gotten this year!

l too felt bad for Ray...as he was definitely putting forth the effort to deliver...the chords just weren't there for him. l read alot of feedback that pointed out his vocal issues on the DT tour. It's quite possible he did some damage to his vocal chords on that tour. James Labrie went through a period where he struggled on tours...took a few years for him to overcome whatever it was that ailed him. Anyway, getting back to Ray...the emotion he conveyed was unmatched and his phrasing impeccable. Nick and the guys were on point without a doubt. Talentwise...they owned that portion.

I wonder if these songs from "Origins..." are just too high for him to hit live? Sometimes vocalists will really stretch for something in the studio, but then regret it later when they have to do it night after night on tour. I'm not very familiar with his Fates Warning stuff, so not sure if these types of songs are typical of what he is used to. I definitely agree about your Labrie observations....he was pretty bad live for awhile, but I have been surprised how strong he's been live lately.

No...the songs are definitely in his range. He does similar higher end material with Fates Warning. l think the DT tour just took a toll on his chords...night after night. He may not have been prepared for it. Vocalists like Ray, JLB, Tate, etc. have to be careful...prepping for a tour is necessary. Care during a tour is a must.

Redemption owned Friday night...BTW. ;)

I heard him sing Ivory Gate of Dreams for Fates Warning live. Truly awesome. One of those concert experiences that will always stay with me. Redemption kicked ass!