Andy, drum sound on Anthems.. ?

Barnyard

New Metal Member
Oct 13, 2003
Andy, first I want to say that I think the drums sound excellent on Arch Enemy's Anthems Of Rebellion.

Im curious.. obviously its a triggered sound.. What setup did you use to achieve the kick sound? A friend of mine uses a D4 and a DM5 and Ive not heard that sound out of them as far as I can tell..

Are the kicks looped in some areas to provide consistency? They sound so precise, some friends and I were debating it..

Do you typically trigger the whole drumkit or just certain components like kicks and snare?

The drums on Anthems have a very tight and pro sound. Good work!

Andy Sneap said:
the kicks are triggered yes, snare is a mix of real and sample and rest is natural.

Thank you Andy.

So, did you use D4 samples? I see in other threads that you prefer the D4 over some other brains..

Do you typically protool drums into perfection or is your goal to squeeze the best performance possible out of the drummer and do the minimal of tweaking later?

And sorry for so many questions, but can you tell me how many physically played layers of rythm guitar are used on Anthems? Again, I've been listening closely to this album and really digging the mix. I became a fan of your style listening to Nevermore, another album which has superior drum and guitar sounds overall.

During the production of my bands last album we played and played with the so called magical POD but every sound we ever got out of it paled in comparison to a Marshall stacks natural crush.. In the end we only used POD for fills, and some overlayed guitar tracks in various places.. We are about to re-enter Zero Gravity Studio ( www.zerogravitystudio.com ) and this time around will go with a 5150 on one side and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rect on the other, and possibly use POD for some layering to thicken up the guitars..