Compression on Bass Drum and Snare

Liam Thompson

Lord of the Strings
Jan 13, 2004
Sunderland, England
www.avenger-uk.com
I've heard some of you guys here saying how you and Andy mix an uncompressed signal with a heavily compressed signal when mixing triggered samples with the natural kit sounds on bass drums and snares. I was wondering if you leave the sample as is and compress the natural sound or do it the other way around. I intend to use the natural snare mixed with a Bob Clearmountain snare and possibly the picallo snare from an Alesis D4.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

the way andy posted, was mixing the uncompressed/low compressed snare/bd with a copy of that track really heavy compressed! that is the way i do it now and it sounds really good (more control !!!!), in my case it was a must to use exactly the same plug ins on each track (the dryone in bypass) to avoid phasing by latency! also i mix a sampled snare/bd in and all three signals end in a snare/bd bus (in my case i just used a copied track on the snare and on bd i took more samples(pantera/erskine mix), no heavy compressed copy on bd, because i can change velocity for my samples!

i hope this reply helps you!