Dynamics on triggered/mic'ed snare mix

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I mostly end up with a 50/50 mix of triggered snare and mic'ed snare...but how do you guyes do the dynamics.

-Do you compress the miced snare, do you set the triggered snare for full dynamics, no dynamics or something in between....or do you mix the trigger signal and mic signal on a bus and -then- compress?

Ive just found sound replacer. Sample your own kit and trigger it from the performance. Perfect consistant sound each time but with the dynamics of the the original performance. Oh and I already know Im the last one to catch on but this is what happens when a devout Logic user spends a week with a Protools HD3 rig.

It varies song to song for me, I probably end up using more sampled snare than real.... but yeah if you have sound replacer that is the way to go.... You can lessen the dynamics in percentages with it. so if its a hard driving part you can pretty much eliminate variances but if you need dynamics like on a mellower section or build-up you can keep the dynamics.

Also I usually compress the shit out of the real one and don't comp the sample very much or at all.... sometimes I buss em together sometimes I dont. It all really depends on the song, the original snare sound and the sample sound.