snare drum trigger - two signals?

alexrookie

Mar 13, 2004
hanover,germany
hi everybody,

i want to capture my snare with a trigger direct in a mic pre and then in my computer.
do i get two signals playing a rimshot (what i do all the time) from a snare trigger (head+ring trigger) and would these triggersignals have some short delay between themselves?

i only want one signal for one shot and i will never use a drum module - just amping the signal into my computer for gating, soundreplacing!

is it necessary to buy a snare trigger or would a tom trigger do the same job for me?
would it be as easy to clamp a tom trigger to my snare as a snare trigger?

what about the sensitivity - a snare is much louder than a tom and as i read in a few threads, i have to be aware of the high gain comming direct from the trigger.

and last not least, what about some products:
as i already read, the redshots are crap, but are there differences between the new roland, ddrum, ddt and tdrum(thomann) triggers - please give me some info!:loco:

ok, thats it - thanks for answering,

cheers,
alex

You don't necessarily need a trigger, persay. But if you are going to do it, you should get a snare specific trigger, I would imagine it's more suited for the different velocities involved compared to how a drummer uses toms. DDrum (IMO) are some of the best triggers on the market, but I've heard nothing but good things about TDrum's triggers as well. Roland I wouldn't recommend just because they do too much other stuff and DDrum and TDrum focus only on drums. But that's just me, I'm wierd like that.

As far as the sesitivity thing, all you have to do is make sure the gain on your mic pre is turned all the way down when you start, and gradually turn it up until you have a hot enough signal but not clipping...easy :)

If you don't want to have to worry about triggers, you could just mic the snare as usual but use Drumagog to replace the sounds in real-time. But if you don't have Drumagog then...you have a problem going that route, heh.

~006

You'll be fine with a ddrum tom trigger. The only difference between that and the snare trigger is that the snare trigger, as you mentioned, is fitted with two triggers. The two signals go out on the same cable so it has to be split in the other end.
You can still get a snare mic and use only one of the signals, but they're more expensive so if you need only one signal, there's little point. A tom mic will be fine. (I might add that it's exactly what I've been using for several years)

thanks guys,

of course i'll mic the snare as well - but in the past there was too much noise from the hh and overheads to get cool hits for making midi notes out of the snare track to trigger my sampler (i had to split the parts and used different settings in 'audio to midi generator')!
i tried drumagog but with the original, miced snare track i got too many faults out of drumagog and so i still use midinotes for my layered samples out of the sampler!

would there be any dificulties in placing a tom trigger on a snare - i guess no 'cause the rims are all the same, right?

thanks for answering!!