Equing the snare reverb

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Hey, everyone!

Do you guyes ever eq the snare reverb, pulling something away, adding some?
..and do you ever use compression on it or perhaps delay it?

I'm trying to get that snare reverb that goes "PAH!", not "PAaaa...", heh..so i'm fidling with some gated reverbs.

Also, do you use the same reverb for the snare and toms, or do you use a different reverb for the toms....?

Best snare/reverb I ever heard was on The Gathering...!

I don't like reverb on the snare either... It only really works on some kind of SLOW and heavy metal break where it's nothing but a solid low A and a basic 4/4 shuffle played really hard to give the effect of it being "HUGE". It has to be drastic and obvious that you DUMPED some "SUPER-WAY-TOO-FUCKIN-EXCESSIVLY-LARGE HALL-REVERB" on it. Thats the only example I can think of for verbbin out the snare. hehe. That's so metal.

I agree that you can go way overboard with verb and things can turn power-ballad quickly, but no snare verb at all? I can't even think of a metal record with literally zero snare reverb. Sure you can easily bus all drums to a single verb but there's still verb. maybe I'm just being hardheaded but I'm really surprised unless you guys are getting great room mic sounds or something.

Egan, you nailed it !
I don't buy that no verb stories either, it's always i've used no reverb blabla just a little gated very short, or plate or whatever. This means there IS verb used PERIOD.
You need to have a decent sounding room and then compress the shit out of it to get to a verblike but no verbs used sound, and that's hard gentlemen...

Can someone answer the question? How do you EQ the snare reverb?

I often like to use 2 reverbs for snare (if the drums have been recorded in a dead room or if there are no room mics or the room mics sound like crap). One longer (hall or room) and one shorter (plate or room). The longer one is darker and the short one is brighter. I just make sure that the reverb doesn't make the snare & mix sound muddy and I always eq nasty sounding frequencies from the highs or mids. Just make it sound good to your ears. The way I eq it depends A LOT on the snare sound and overall mix and I've noticed that the eq:in might be very different in each project.

I often like to use 2 reverbs for snare (if the drums have been recorded in a dead room or if there are no room mics or the room mics sound like crap). One longer (hall or room) and one shorter (plate or room). The longer one is darker and the short one is brighter. I just make sure that the reverb doesn't make the snare & mix sound muddy and I always eq nasty sounding frequencies from the highs or mids. Just make it sound good to your ears. The way I eq it depends A LOT on the snare sound and overall mix and I've noticed that the eq:in might be very different in each project.

Cool tip, I'm going to try this out! Cheers

Cool tip, I'm going to try this out! Cheers

I actually do something similar.

I'll apply the short high pass reverb to the snare on it's own channel, but I'll also put the snare channel through a drum bus, which includes a little bit of a longer reverb for the rest of the kit, including the overheads.