Snare and bass drum samples for download?

Liam Thompson

Lord of the Strings
Jan 13, 2004
Sunderland, England
www.avenger-uk.com
Hi, does anyone out there know of any sites that has samples of snare and bass drums available for download, for free. I am intending to use them with Drumagog after I heard some talk about it and Sound Replacer. I am especially looking for samples from the Alesis D4. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thanks

www.dooleydrums.com

.......they aren't the heaviest or most "metally" sounding samples, but they have 8 hits of a kick, snare, crashes, hi hats, rides, which are great for combining with better samples and adding some variability for programming.

I have seen CD's of the D4 samples on ebay before, but I'm sure the disc is totally unofficial and has nothing to do with alesis. Why not just buy a D4 though? You can get one used for $100. It's pretty unlikely that you are going to find great drum samples for free (unless you steal them). You can get the bob clearmountain samples for $50 or DKFH for $100. Or if you're set on getting them for free you can try to rip them off of a cd (this doesn't work well with snare but I've definitely captured useable kicks this way).

Yeah, I went and got one of those sample cd's as I realised there were no decent samples for free. I have took some good bass drum samples from cd's especially from Far Beyond Driven. I couldn't get a a usuable snare sample from a cd though.

It's funny that you used pantera b/c I've got about five pantera kicks in my collection and at one point I heard that dimmu used pantera kicks on one of their records. It seems that stealing pantera's is an industry standard.

Thats cool! I never knew that. I think a lot of people would use it because it sounds so good and doesn't take up a lot of space in the mix. I checked the frequencies that the bass drum covered and most of the energy was at around 80 Hz and 4.5 kHz with a mid size Q on both. The bass was going down to around 55 Hz before really dropping off and the high end still had frequencies well in 8 kHz. Pretty much nothing from around 110 Hz to 2 kHz though, really scooped. With the amount of high end click on that sound I think it gives a lot of oppourtunity to use reductive EQ and use it in many other ways.

I almost forgot, I got the kick and snare from 5 minutes alone from Far Beyond Driven, right at the intro. I used the first bass drum hit and the second snare hit, as the first hit is a flam while the second is a single stroke. I recorded it in Wavelab an cut it as needed and then normalised it. I then used the samplkes in Drtumagog. The bass drum works really well although the snare drum isn't that good due to the reverb getting cut off quick due to the next hit coming in on the album. I found that using a little bit of reverb over that sound made it sound a bit better and stopped it sounding serverly gated. It still doesn't work as well as getting a dry snare sample though hence why I started this post.