Need help finding kick and snare samples

cdm7string

New Metal Member
Apr 2, 2005
Our original drum tracks really suck and I need to find kick and snare samples. I've tried a couple Clearmountain samples (never got the actual cd), but they didn't seem to work with our music (heavy prog metal). I've heard about drumkit from hell, v-drums, ddrums, etc.. Any suggestions on which is better? We're using pro tools with sound replacer, but I'm going to get the TL Labs Drum Rehab when it comes out because soundreplacer isn't always accurate with it's placement of samples. Also, any suggestions regarding mixing the samples so they don't sound fake?

The cheapest solution is still to take samples on cds you like, you can get an isolated kick or a snare here and there. If you don't want them to sound fake, mix them with your actual drum tracks, starting very low then pushing the volume up until you're happy with the sound you have (still "natural" - not machinegun I mean). Sometimes I happen to only add like 15% of sampled snare and 85% of the real one, but that's enough, so don't be afraid to experiment a little.

I can't stress this enough. Dust off your copy of 'Vulgar Display of Power', shove it in and open up '5 minutes alone' in a wave editor. Intro = Awesome kick sample, clean and ready for your use.

Moonlapse said:
I can't stress this enough. Dust off your copy of 'Vulgar Display of Power', shove it in and open up '5 minutes alone' in a wave editor. Intro = Awesome kick sample, clean and ready for your use.

since when was 5 minutes alone on vulgar display of power? :p

Genius Gone Insane said:
I got a good kick I can post for you if you if you're interested. For my band I rip off the beginning of I think it's like track 10 on Reroute to Remain. Man I love that snare sound.

Yes, I'm interested, thanks

I recently combined samples from an Alesis SR-16 with some from the Akai XR10. Had to fade the tails and EQ quite strongly, but the results were pretty good. The samples came from the Hollow Sun website, and they're totally free.
Genius Gone Insane said:
i'll try to get it up tonight
Jolly good luck, old chap...

Moonlapse said:

I've been using the '5 minutes alone' sample while tracking a cover of 'Replica'. It might make it into the final mix, unless I find a sample off demanufacture that I can steal!! (I've gotta got through the CD this weekend).

I am also looking for a decent sounding kick sample with the click in it, example Dissection's "Maha Kali". Has anyone one? The ones here I was only able to listen to Daver's, the others winamp refuses to play telling it's not supported

Thanks

morningstar said:
I am also looking for a decent sounding kick sample with the click in it, example Dissection's "Maha Kali". Has anyone one? The ones here I was only able to listen to Daver's, the others winamp refuses to play telling it's not supported

Thanks

I think the others posted up here are encoded at higher bit-rates, seem to remember a couple were 24 bit, hope that helps