Andy: snare in overheads

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Andy, do you try to avoid getting a lot of snare in the overheads (if that's possible), or does it make up an important part of your snare sound in the mix? I've been kinda having to fight the overheads lately in trying to get my snare sound together (even when it's been tracked fine, no phase issues, etc.) so I was just wondering if this is normal. I know said you filter overheads pretty high up, so I guess if you get anything good from the snare in those tracks it's just to add a little high crack?

Thanks,

Waiting for The Sneap to reply to this as this is something I also wonder about. Been using DFHS awhile now, and track with all the mics off cept for direct. When I bring them in it sounds HUGE, but oft times overpowering...

INAB :)

I try and get a little snare in the Oh's as posssible as well.

The problem for me lies in the fact that even when you do extreme filtering(which I always do) you'll still end up with quite a bit of snare so.........

I'll usually try and cut the frequency in which the snares seems to overpower in the oh's which is usually a midrange frequency, somewhere between 600-1k.

I just try and e.q the oh's to a point in which the snare sound isn't altered tonally when you turn the overheads up loud in the mix, and then usually I have to turn the oh's down more than I would like just to get it balanced.

basically sculpt until the oh's don't take away from your snare sound/and or help it.

I usually ask the drummer to lift his cymbals as high as he can play, and place the mics not too close to the cymbals. If there's still too much leak, I'll point the overheads outside the kit.
It also depends on the way the drummer sets his drums, how loud the snare sounds and the way he hit it.
I've never been able to get completely rid of the spill, only minimize.
If any of you wizards managed it, let me know hahaha

I've been also wondering how you usually mic rides. The ride is also a pain in the ass in spilling - specially from the floor tom smack.
Actually, once I got the sound I wanted from the ride when placing a Beta Green underneath it. It sounded so much better than the mic that was over.
When I place mics over the ride I usually end up with an thin, undistinct sound, with lots of FT leaking.
So, how do you deal with that? Over or underneath?

I've been also wondering how you usually mic rides. The ride is also a pain in the ass in spilling - specially from the floor tom smack.
Actually, once I got the sound I wanted from the ride when placing a Beta Green underneath it. It sounded so much better than the mic that was over.
When I place mics over the ride I usually end up with an thin, undistinct sound, with lots of FT leaking.
So, how do you deal with that? Over or underneath?

I allways try to place the overs in that way that the cymbals hide the toms, doesn't matter if I have only 2 overs or seperate mics for each cymbal.
Get good results with that.

On the ride and on the hihat I use AKG C419 hypercardioid (the goosenecks) small diafragma condenser and I must say THATS IT! No FT spill and a very good sounding ride even without eq using. No joke.

What part of the ride do you normally mic, and from which angle? Underneath, above, 90 degrees? Got a session coming up and I haven't had a chance to experiment much.

Do you guys feel that OHs cut it for 'metal' stuff? Do you preffer the up-front sound of close-micing cymbals, or do you feel OHs are adequate?

My biggest qualm with OHs is that I usually only want the cymbals, and not room, so I'll be filtering the living hell out of them.